5 August 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Give To Readers Who Have Never Read LGBT books

 
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week participating bloggers can create lists of topic given by the host, and share them with others!
 
There's a lot of reasons why I chose this topic. For starters, there's never too many good LGBT books, especially if we're talking about YA and NA. There's own LGBT adult romance community and oh do I love all the LGBT publishers for that but there's a great lack of YA and NA books of that genre. Especially YA ones. YA is supposed to be for young adults and more than often they're about experiences whether it's paranormal, dystopia or just contemporary adventures. It's about learning about life and finding who you are. Naturally (for me at least) it's to ask, why there's so few YA books about minor sexuality? We all have to discover who we are and what we like, and diversity should be nurtured and celebrated. Okay, I'm kind of rambling passionately but it's important and there will not be a day when I won't advertise LGBT. So I chose it for my topic on this matter.
 
Also, why the heck no? I love them.
 
1. Rush by Nyrae Dawn: New adult and perfect canditate. I loved it (my review), not only because talented writing but how Dawn faced the topic: accepting oneself and coming out to the world. Especially since this was about two boys, more men than boys actually, and they were still struggling with themselves and society's norms even though they were in college. Life won't get easier once you're done with being a teenager. Perfect LGBT themed book, definitely a must read.
 
2. Hushed by Kelley York: This one's new adult too, but dark and twisted. Not for the most delicate but I still see this as a must read, especially since the main character is bisexual. Exceptional and captivating story and for me, Kelley York is royalty in LGBT books - mostly because her characters sexuality doesn't define them, no it's just part of who they are. Just like in reality. (my review)
 
3. With or Without You by Brian Farrey: It's such a good story about growing up, struggling with own sexuality and accepting yourself. It's also so much more and I cried while I read this one - and I don't cry often when reading books. This one's a young adult novel and it's good. Definitely a must read in LGBT books.
 
4. Made of Stars by Kelley York: Just like with Hushed, it's more about the story than sexuality, and Made of Stars is absolutely stunning. Heartbreaking, truly, and this one left me bleeding. But it's also one of those books that you need to experience. (my review)
 
5. Arrival by Chris O'Guinn: Actually, other than acknowledging the main characters sexuality there was no romance or things like that in Arrival. For me, however, it's important to have LGBT themed stories that doesn't only have the struggle with character's sexuality. Sexuality doesn't define who we are. Arrival is a great story, fast paced YA sci-fi and I'd gadly give it to readers who have never read LGBT books. (my review)
 
6. The Merman and the Barbarian Pirate: Mermans, pirates, adventures - it's fantasy and LGBT and it's like a perfect fairy tale with a twist, kind of. My review will probably be more helpful than my rambling now, but it's a good story and I haven't read a book like that with LGBT themes before.
 
7. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde: It's classic in many ways. I recommend it because it's classic and I did like it. Complex characters and while it was slow paced on some points, it was still good and with all the trouble the book got Wilde I can't ignore it during this list.
 
8. Obscura Burning by Suzanne van Rooyen: Darker story, in a way like Hushed had but that's only a good thing. Life isn't easy and sometimes, bad things happen and sometimes life's just dark. Obscura Burning wasn't hopeless and it gives a great represation for LGBT. (my review)
 
9. The Beast of Callaire by Saruuh Kelsey: Because we need represation for the 'L' part of LGBT. Fantasy, mythology and lesbian main character? It was so good and shows yet again that it's not sexuality that makes us what we are. (my review)
 
10. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan: Is there any lists without John Green in it? Probably not. Cute story, cute characters and interesting points made. Very enjoyable and yes, for those who haven't read LGBT books (and for those who have read).
 
+ Bonus
 
Proxy by Alex London
I'm currently reading this one and this far I've loved it. And one of the main characters, Syd, is gay. Cheers for that. Diversity AND this far stunning writing and captivating story.
 
Is there any LGBT themes books you'd recommend?

6 comments:

  1. I've only read Will Grayson, Will Grayson and loved it! I'm putting the rest on my TBR list now.

    Awesome top ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it too! Thank you and I'm glad if you found some new books because of this :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting list! I poached a lot of it for my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only one that I read was Proxy and I really enjoyed it, but I was completely let down by its sequel.
    Monique @ Mo_Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost done with Proxy and I'm loving it so much. Oh, I hope the sequel isn't so bad, it would be such a shame to have wonderful first book and then not-so-great sequel.

      Delete