Surviveby Alex Morel
Published by Electric Monkey Books
Paperback (bought)
YA, contemporary, adventure
"And, frankly, I'm not a genious myself but I am a very good liar."
When Jane steps on to the plane her plan is clear - Go to the bathroom. Take the pills. End it all.
The plane crash changes all that.
Jane wakes in the mountains, surrounded b wreckage, with just one other survivor. Together, they must fight their way through the blizzards, and back to civilization.
Now, more than anything, she wants to live.
Survive is a lyrical story about Jane who doesn't want to live anymore, not since her dad killed himself, and she has a plan because she's a planner: to board a plane to take her home for Christmas, except according to her plan, she's going to kill herself on the bathroom during the flight. However, Jane's plan goes all wrong as the plane crashes into the wilderness. Jane and only one other passanger, Paul, survives the crash. And now it's up to them to get back to the civilization - alive, since Jane doesn't want to die anymore.
Survive is fast-paced, fast to read because you don't want to put it down. The writing is lyrical, intriguing and Morel sure knows how to use the words to make story truly become alive. There's sentences that left me breathless because of their pure genious - and all those heartbreaking feelings and hope for Jane and Paul to survive their trials. Oh, and what a characters Morel created - Jane and Paul are different, flawed, intriguing and still full of hope even when their journey seems to be hopeless.
Survive is a standalone which was one of the reasons alongside the synopsis why I picked it up. I'm so glad I did it, because Survive took me on a journey that wrenched my heart, and made me love every moment - made me devour the story on a few sitting. It's a gripping, captivating and emotional journey from the start right until the last sentence.
I highly recommend Survive to everyone. It's a wonderful, poignant and truly heartbreaking story. I even recommend it to everyone who doesn't like contemporary that much because this story is worth of everyone's time. Survive is probably the best contemporary, realistic fiction book I've read.
Prepare yourself for an emotional ride and dive in.
5 of 5 stars and everything else I can give.
Survive on Goodreads.
No comments:
Post a Comment