A Suitable Replacement (Deceived, #5)by Megan Derr
Published by Less Than Three Press
Ebook (received from publisher via NetGalley, thank you!)
Adult, LGBT, romance, fantasy
After three years abroad on an arduous expedition, Maximilian is happy to be home, where he can pursue his private studies in peace and enjoy not living in a dusty tent. He is also glad he has arrived in time to attend his twin sister's wedding in a few months, and to finally meet her fiancé, Kelcey.
Instead he arrives home to be accosted by his sister's furious fiancé, who wants to know where she has run off to and why. When they confirm the wedding is most definitely canceled, Max has no choice but to fulfill the runaway clause in the marriage contract: he must find Kelcey a new spouse.
But the more time passes, the more he wishes he could offer himself up as replacement, no matter how unsuitable an arrangement he knows that would be.
A Suitable Replacement was nothing like I expected - but that doesn't mean it was anything but good. Synopsis gives a good overview for the idea behind the story but the book has so many other aspects alongside looking for replacement. For one, the main characters Max and Kelcey aren't what I expected when I picked this up. Max was intriguing and multilayered character and I love how even in his thirties he had a little of child's mind left - and that didn't make him childish, more like gave him new side. I liked Max and his sister's, Mavin's, banter and teasing because it reminded me how siblings can sometimes tease each other relentlessly. Although Mavin's character was otherwise quite annoying, mostly because she did not own her own mistakes rather than letting Max deal with the fallouts. Kelcey, however, was great character. A little shady and mysterious but still lovable and I loved how he was diverse character, and how that wasn't big deal. Derr sure knows how to write intriguing and diverse characters!
Looking for a replacement wasn't only aspect on the plot. I don't want to spoil anyone but there was eloping, marriages, road trip of sort, highwaymen and past colliding with the present. I liked the road trip and sadly it was very overall told and I would have enjoyed the story even more if the journey would have been descriped with more details. A lot happened in the story but it wasn't overwhelming and rushed because there was room for quiet moments and, of course, some sexy times.
A Suitable Replacement was well written story, maybe more contemporary than fantasy even though there was a lot talking about magic theory which Max scientifically studied and goblin wars. It's interesting mix but Derr made it work really well and the story was enjoyable, unique and intriguing. I especially liked the historical feeling the story had, it's always a huge plus. However, I felt that the story lacked something on some points especially when it came to Max's sister, Mavin. She and her husband didn't face consequences of their actions and Mavin didn't feel genuine on her apology. Derr could have easily focused a little bit more on that aspect of the story.
A Suitable Replacement was truly enjoyable, and I recommend it to everyone who likes diverse characters, romance and unique mix of fantasy and contemporary with side of historical feeling.
Looking for a replacement wasn't only aspect on the plot. I don't want to spoil anyone but there was eloping, marriages, road trip of sort, highwaymen and past colliding with the present. I liked the road trip and sadly it was very overall told and I would have enjoyed the story even more if the journey would have been descriped with more details. A lot happened in the story but it wasn't overwhelming and rushed because there was room for quiet moments and, of course, some sexy times.
A Suitable Replacement was well written story, maybe more contemporary than fantasy even though there was a lot talking about magic theory which Max scientifically studied and goblin wars. It's interesting mix but Derr made it work really well and the story was enjoyable, unique and intriguing. I especially liked the historical feeling the story had, it's always a huge plus. However, I felt that the story lacked something on some points especially when it came to Max's sister, Mavin. She and her husband didn't face consequences of their actions and Mavin didn't feel genuine on her apology. Derr could have easily focused a little bit more on that aspect of the story.
A Suitable Replacement was truly enjoyable, and I recommend it to everyone who likes diverse characters, romance and unique mix of fantasy and contemporary with side of historical feeling.
4 of 5 stars.
Thank you, Less Than Three Press, for giving me a chance to review A Suitable Replacement!
A Suitable Replacement on Goodreads.
(A copy of this ebook was provided in return for an honest review.)
(A copy of this ebook was provided in return for an honest review.)
No comments:
Post a Comment