Kill Devil Hills (Kill Devil Hills, #1)by Sarah Darlington
Self-published
Ebook (received from author, thank you!)
NA, contemporary, romance
He’s twenty-four. She’s eighteen.
His life is exactly the way he’s always wanted it to be...stable.
She’s quite possibly the very definition of unstable.
Noah saved her.
Georgina never wanted to be saved.
Growing up, Noah Clark was passed from one relative to the next until he finally ended up living with his abusive, alcoholic uncle in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina. Thanks in part to the unwavering love and support of his best friend, Ellie Turner, Noah survived those years, escaped his uncle, and grew into the man he is today. Now he runs his own business and lives a pretty normal, no-nonsense life—one where he maintains a high level of control.
Georgina is Ellie’s younger sister. Four months ago, Noah saved Georgie’s life, but he thought that was where his involvement with his friend’s sister would end. Now Georgie has returned home from the recovery facility her parents sent her away to and Noah, still haunted by the night that connects them, can’t stop himself from continuously trying to protect this girl he barely knows. But is he willing to give up all of the control he’s worked so hard to build in his life and risk everything for her? Even more importantly, would she do the same for him?
Kill Devil Hills was quite well written story about Georgina who tried to commit suicide but was saved by her big sister's friend, Noah. After spending four months in a place for troubled young adults, Georgina comes back home to face consequences and start her life again. Twenty-four-year-old Noah feels protective and wants to get to know Georgina better. There's no avoiding pudding romance between the two of them.
Kill Devil Hills wasn't bad, per say, but it wasn't for me either. There was some aspects in the story that I couldn't get past and the way some things were dealt felt rushed. It felt like Georgina's attempt to take her life was brushed off a little. It was mentioned, she did go this place but I felt like there should have be more discussing about it, more deep meaning to all of it. It felt like it was too short jump for suicide attempt to all the romance that there was. Also, the lack of condom, or more like forgetting it was huge turn off for me. I'm all for safe sex in books (and everywhere else), and even though later was revealed that Georgina was on pills, it was weeks after they had sex. It was irresponsible and for people in their age, they should have discussed these things before they had sex or right after it.
I couldn't connect with the characters. There was lots of information about both Noah and Georgina, but it felt like the author just gave all the facts but left dealing with them out of the story. There was also no space for reader to figure out anything paced on how characters acted via the whole information dump that was given. I was disappointed because I wanted to connect with Noah and Georgina, I wanted to feel giddy for them, excited and everything they felt but instead I just read what happened and I couldn't get myself to care. Not connecting with the characters is a huge deal for me, and I think that might be the main reason why I was unable to enjoy Kill Devil Hills as much as I wanted to enjoy it.
I'm not saying that Kill Devil Hills is a bad story - all I'm saying is that it wasn't story for me. Not my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean anyone else can't enjoy and love the story. If you like contemporary romance then there's a huge chance that you'll be able to connect with the characters and enjoy the story. There was some great things in the story, some diverse characters and things like that. This story isn't for me, but it could be one for you.
2 of 5 stars.
Kill Devil Hills on Goodreads.
(A copy of this ebook was provided in return for an honest review.)
No comments:
Post a Comment