9 August 2014

DNF: Abandon by Meg Cabot

Abandon (Abandon, #1)
by Meg Cabot
Published by Macmillian Children's Books
Paperback (borrowed from library)
YA, fantasy, paranormal


Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.


First did-not-finish book for me and I did ponder for some time whether finish Abandon or not. However, I have many books for review and for fun waiting for me and I couldn't get myself reading a story that didn't do anything for me.
 
Abandon started like I expected: there was all the elements I expected there to be. There was new life for the main character, NAME, and flashbacks with the Underworld and escaping from death. Thrilling, exciting and just like I had hoped it to be. Then the story hit the wall. Nothing really happened besides quite boring high school stuff and even that didn't happen much because there was flashbacks and then there was useless information that were just throwed there. Like, hey, you've read over hundred pages and now I can tell you this new character trait that do not sit well with the storyline. I lost my interest. I wanted the paranormal stuff, the Underwolrd and the mystery of it but instead I got boring high school drama.
 
There was potential and there was some promising-ish things when I stopped reading (around 142 pages) but the story didn't hold my attention. Maybe some day I'll pick this up and finish it, but definitely not now.
 
And even because I didn't warm up with the high school stuff that doesn't mean anyone else wouldn't. If you like paranormal stories within high school, then I say, go for this! Not my cup of tea but might be yours. There wasn't anything wrong with the writing itself, so if it sounds intriguing for you, grap it and give it a  go.
 
No rating because I didn't finish.
 
Abandon on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment