Half Bad (Half Life, #1)by Sally Green
Published by Penguin
Paperback (bought)
YA, paranormal, fantasy
You can't read, can't write, but you heal fast, even for a witch.
You get sick if you stay indoors after dark.
You hate White Witches but love Annalise, who is one.
You've been kept in a cage since you were fourteen.
All you've got to do is escape and find Mercury, the Black Witch who eats boys. And do that before your seventeenth birthday.
Easy.
There's so many aspects that got me interested in Half Bad. Firstly, it was the name and cover. Cover's brilliant, really, and with a name like that I'm pretty much sold. I was little guarded about the idea of witches mostly because I've read so many witchcraft books and mostly they haven't been good ones. Besides genious J.K. Rowling no one has written about witches the way it would have blew my mind. However, Sally Green did it. From the page one I was taken by the world Nathan lived and all that old school magic. Half Bad isn't good - it's expectional.
Main character is important part of the story and sadly many times main character isn't the force that keeps me reading. However, Nathan was wondrous main character. I loved that Green chose male main character for a book about witches because mostly there's all those witch stories with female leading characters. Nathan was right choice and he was truly interesting characters. The journey with him was heart wreching and captivating, and all I wanted was to hug him and kick White Witches asses for treating Nathan badly.
Green's all characters were well defined and while Nathan's character developement was biggest, there were so many characters that I loved. Even the one's I despised because of their actions were well written and real. I adored Gabriel (who wouldn't!), Arran and Ellen alongside Nathan. Marcus, Bob, Trev, Gran, Rose and countless others were intriguing and I want to know more about them. The sequel, Half Wild, couldn't be here soon enough and waiting for March 2015 is going to be tortureous.
Half Bad is stunning, captivating story which I devoured and yearned for more constantly. There was so many emotions running through me during the book and there still is - and I finished some days ago. For a debut novel Half Bad is expectional. I'm going to read every book Green ever writes, that's for sure. She became one of my favorite authors fast.
Read it. You won't regret it.
Main character is important part of the story and sadly many times main character isn't the force that keeps me reading. However, Nathan was wondrous main character. I loved that Green chose male main character for a book about witches because mostly there's all those witch stories with female leading characters. Nathan was right choice and he was truly interesting characters. The journey with him was heart wreching and captivating, and all I wanted was to hug him and kick White Witches asses for treating Nathan badly.
Green's all characters were well defined and while Nathan's character developement was biggest, there were so many characters that I loved. Even the one's I despised because of their actions were well written and real. I adored Gabriel (who wouldn't!), Arran and Ellen alongside Nathan. Marcus, Bob, Trev, Gran, Rose and countless others were intriguing and I want to know more about them. The sequel, Half Wild, couldn't be here soon enough and waiting for March 2015 is going to be tortureous.
Half Bad is stunning, captivating story which I devoured and yearned for more constantly. There was so many emotions running through me during the book and there still is - and I finished some days ago. For a debut novel Half Bad is expectional. I'm going to read every book Green ever writes, that's for sure. She became one of my favorite authors fast.
Read it. You won't regret it.
5 of 5 stars and everything else I can give.
Half Bad on Goodreads.
No comments:
Post a Comment