17 July 2014

Review: Forged by Jennifer Rush

Forged (Altered, #0.5)
by Jennifer Rush
Published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Ebook (bought)
YA, sci-fi, novella

Before Anna and Sam, there was Dani and Sam.

There's one rule that all Branch operatives must live by: No attachments. When Dani O'Brien entered the Branch, she planned to trade her freedom so that her family could have a better life. But joining up with the mysterious organization is more than she bargained for. Branch head Connor watches over her closely--too closely. The training is brutal, the experiments are secret, and the missions promise to be anything but ordinary. The only thing getting Dani through each day is the hope that she'll run into Sam--a young man, about her age, who wears the world on his shoulders.





Firstly I have to point out that even though synopsis promises more about Dani and Sam, I think that it should be said more of Dani. Sam was there, yes, but Dani and her thoughts were the main point. It was more of Dani and Connor than Sam. So if you're waiting for epic story of Dani and Sam and their past, don't hold your breath.
 
Forged gives insight of Dani's character. I didn't like her much during Erased, I've always preferred Anna (and Sam with her) and even though the short story made Dani more likable I still didn't connect with her on a level that would make her one of my favorites. As big sister I can respect for Dani's intentions and motives driving her (mainly Anna's safety and happiness) and I do, but the choices she makes and the way she acts makes her if not complety unlikable then close enough. Connecting with narrator, with main character is important for me and even though I adore Rush as a writer, Forged lacked much mainly because of Dani's character. I'm still pleased that I got chance to read it if nothing else then to understand Dani better.
 
If you're waiting for questions of Branch answered, then stop. Forged raised more questions than answered - about Branch, Dani's and Sam's relationship and about Connor. However, it's still interesting story to read if not a little too short but I still liked it. It was fluid and intriguing. Not same sort of page turner as Altered and Erased but maybe it's good - after two fast-paced page turners Forged gave a chance to breath and enjoy the story.
 
4 of 5 stars (more likely 3.5 stars)
 
Forged on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment