by Lisa Henry & Heidi Belleau
Published by Riptide Publishing
Ebook (received from publisher, thank you!)
Adult, LGBT, dystopia, sci-fi, romance
"They're always happy."
Rory James has worked hard all his life to become a citizen of the idyllic city-state of Beulah. Like every other kid born in the neighboring country of Tophet, he’s heard the stories: No crime or pollution. A house and food for everyone. It’s perfect, and Rory is finally getting a piece of it.
So is Tate Patterson. He’s from Tophet, too, but he’s not a legal immigrant; he snuck in as a thief. A city without crime seems like an easy score, until he crashes into Rory during a getaway and is arrested for assaulting a citizen. Instead of jail, Tate is enrolled in Beulah’s Rehabilitation through Restitution program. By living with and serving his victim for seven years, Tate will learn the human face of his crimes.
If it seems too good to be true, that’s because it is. Tate is fitted with a behavior-modifying chip that leaves him unable to disobey orders—any orders, no matter how dehumanizing. Worse, the chip prevents him from telling Rory, the one man in all of Beulah who might care about him, the truth: in a country without prisons, Tate is locked inside his own mind.
Dystopia with LGBT characters? I was sold right then and the synopsis only got me more. Then I started to read and I knew I was going to love it - well written, interesting characters, edgy plot and utopia that turned out to be dystopia. Bliss is one of the books that I must to have on my shelf as a physical copy, that's how much I loved it.
Bliss isn't for tender readers. There was issues with consent due the nature of the plot and there was some dark and rough scenes. However, if one can stomach it, it'll be really good. The world building was well written and I liked how we got to see Beulah from Rory's and Tate's point of view, and how that perfection in Rory's eyes turned to something else as the plot thickened and he found out the truth. What I truly loved was the last half of the book as things were dealt with and new discoveries of characters were made.
Rory wasn't perfect but in all his imperfection he was lovable character and he was gentle, kind and wanted to do the right thing. I felt for Tate and I liked his character, especially closer the end when his true character was seen - but Rory was the one I admired. He had his own flaws but it made him human. There was interesting and likable supporting characters such as Alexandra, Aaron and Cal, as well as the bad guys who truly seemed to be evil without any morals.
Bliss isn't easy read due the consent issues and dark themes it presents. However, Bliss is one of those books that makes reader really think about our world - and how much darker and cruel it could be. I'm a fan of dystopias because I yearn to discover different kind of visions how the world could turn out be, and how everything could be so much worse than it is now. Bliss does all that and it does it good, and there's so much more there. Bliss isn't hopeless, no, it gives both readers and its characters hope for the better future - of love, family and friendship. It's not easy but I devoured the story and I was sad when it came to the end.
Bliss is worthy of your time.
5 of 5 stars.
Thank you, Riptide Publishing, for giving me a chance to review Bliss!
Bliss on Goodreads.
(A copy of this ebook was provided in return for an honest review.)

No comments:
Post a Comment