21 February 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Loved Less/More Than I Thought I Would

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week participating bloggers can create lists of topic given by the host, and share them with others!

...Loved Less Than I Thought I Would
While this was a solid read for me, I went in with high expectations because the blurb was basically all I've ever wanted from this type of YA trope. But while the story was good, it didn't blow my mind.

I had way too high expectations for this Robin Hood retelling because of it was RH retelling and blurbed by Sally Green. In the end I only gave it two stars because I was so disappointed on the way the story was going and I disliked Marian and her portrayal so much.

Once again, I dived into with high expectations for everyone's praises; and while I did like it and give it three stars, I couldn't stand Inej and her attitude and the fact that her faults and rudeness was never addressed. I'm still on the fence whether to continue with this one, because I did love the other characters and the world building.

I heard amazing things about this in YALC last summer and while it was good and unique and written in verse, I wasn't able to connect with the characters so overall it was a little flat for me, and I didn't end up loving it the way I thought I would.

I admit, I had way too high expectations for this after Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda. Don't get me wrong, I still loved this a lot and gave it four stars but still it didn't blow my mind the same way Simon Vs did, and I loved it a little less than I originally thought I would.

...Loved More Than I Thought I Would
I didn't have any expectations for this except to enjoy it, and oh my gods did it blow my mind how much I ended loving Theo and Jamie. It totally was something I couldn't have predicted.

The cover and blurb had me excited because 1980s and small town in middle of nowhere are not my usual go-to but I wanted to try something different. I fell head over heels because of how authentic the story felt and I just loved the characters and yeah, I didn't expect any of that.

After Captive Prince, I was a little on fence because while I liked the story, there were some aspect I wasn't so excited of. Everyone said that the last two books would blow the mind and change everything but I guess I didn't really believe it until I read this one and gods, did I love everything. Totally exceeded all my expectations.

I was a little skeptical about The Song of Achilles, because usually the Ancient retellings tend to go for more mainstream direction with the relationships. But I was so wrong to doubt anything because gods, this blew my mind in every way. I didn't expect it to be so well written and so easy to read at the same time, and I didn't expect the heart break even though I knew it was coming. I loved everything.

Vicious was something I heard so much about, mostly praise, but I didn't want to get my hopes up because usually anything that is described as villainous ends up being everything else. In the end I'm happy that I didn't have high expectations because I loved how Vicious proved me wrong in every possible way, and how it made me love it so much that I need more.

4 comments:

  1. I was very excited to do The Rest of Us Just Live Here, but after all the people being disappointed in it I can happily never pick it up now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah shame you didn't enjoy Six of Crows as much as you thought you would! I hope I like it better. Glad you loved Vicious though, I'm looking forward to reading that one :)
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/21/top-ten-tuesday-97/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! Six of crows is an unpopular opinion though! I haven't read it yet but everyone keeps recommending it to me! Sorry you didn't enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, now you've got me interested in Trailer Trash, which never in a million years would have caught my eye on its own. Off to go check it out further on Goodreads ...

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete