Peter Darlingby Austin Chant
Published by Less Than Three Press
Ebook (received via NetGalley)
LGBT, fantasy, retelling, romance
Ten years ago, Peter Pan left Neverland to grow up, leaving behind his adolescent dreams of boyhood and resigning himself to life as Wendy Darling. Growing up, however, has only made him realize how inescapable his identity as a man is.
But when he returns to Neverland, everything has changed: the Lost Boys have become men, and the war games they once played are now real and deadly. Even more shocking is the attraction Peter never knew he could feel for his old rival, Captain Hook—and the realization that he no longer knows which of them is the real villain.
Peter Pan is one of my favourite fairytales, and Captain Hook certainly is my favourite villain ever, so when I heard there was a retelling of Peter Pan as a transgender and possible relationship with Captain Hook, I wouldn't have missed it by any chance. Peter Darling did more than meet my high expectations as I fell irrevocably in love with this story.
For one, Chant's writing style and world-building was perfect for the fairytale setting, especially for a retelling of Peter Pan; it gave the feeling of mystical, a little bit whimsical, and a bit vicious Neverland, a land made of dreams, lost boys, and fairies. And seriously, the description of Hook's clothes and hair were perfection (and I couldn't get enough of those). Of course, there's adventures and lots of fighting especially in the beginning when Peter goes back to Neverland and naturally he and Hook get back to fighting their war.
It was all good, until it became brilliant. The main characters went through a huge character development around the halfway mark of the story, and at this point I really fell in love with the story - and more importantly, with Peter and Hook. Okay, I loved Hook from the beginning but not necessarily Peter. I liked him and felt for him in the flashbacks that contained gender dysphoria as Peter was often misgendered. However, before the character growth, Peter was quite boyish and a bit naively vicious but I loved how he started to realize that world is not as black and white, and that Hook is not necessarily the villain he had made him to be. There were also a few secondary characters worth mentioning, as I really liked Ernest and Tinker Bell.
Overall, Peter Darling was touching and beautiful story that did not let me down. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down as I devoured every page. My only complain is that the book could have been longer as I couldn't get enough of it! Magnificent story, truly. All the diversity that got representation was fantastic. I just really fell in love with the story! And yes, I ship Peter and Hook with all my heart.
I highly recommend this to everyone. It's simply a must read.
For one, Chant's writing style and world-building was perfect for the fairytale setting, especially for a retelling of Peter Pan; it gave the feeling of mystical, a little bit whimsical, and a bit vicious Neverland, a land made of dreams, lost boys, and fairies. And seriously, the description of Hook's clothes and hair were perfection (and I couldn't get enough of those). Of course, there's adventures and lots of fighting especially in the beginning when Peter goes back to Neverland and naturally he and Hook get back to fighting their war.
It was all good, until it became brilliant. The main characters went through a huge character development around the halfway mark of the story, and at this point I really fell in love with the story - and more importantly, with Peter and Hook. Okay, I loved Hook from the beginning but not necessarily Peter. I liked him and felt for him in the flashbacks that contained gender dysphoria as Peter was often misgendered. However, before the character growth, Peter was quite boyish and a bit naively vicious but I loved how he started to realize that world is not as black and white, and that Hook is not necessarily the villain he had made him to be. There were also a few secondary characters worth mentioning, as I really liked Ernest and Tinker Bell.
Overall, Peter Darling was touching and beautiful story that did not let me down. Once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down as I devoured every page. My only complain is that the book could have been longer as I couldn't get enough of it! Magnificent story, truly. All the diversity that got representation was fantastic. I just really fell in love with the story! And yes, I ship Peter and Hook with all my heart.
I highly recommend this to everyone. It's simply a must read.
5 of 5 stars.
Add on Goodreads
Thank you, Less Than Three Press, for giving me a chance to read and review Peter Darling!
(A copy of this ebook was provided in return for an honest review.)
No comments:
Post a Comment