Ice Massacreby Tiana Warner
Published by Rogue Cannon Publishing
Ebook (received from Xpresso Books, thank you!)
NA, fantasy, paranormal
A mermaid’s supernatural beauty serves one purpose: to lure a sailor to his death.
The Massacre is supposed to bring peace to Eriana Kwai. Every year, the island sends its warriors to battle these hostile sea demons. Every year, the warriors fail to return. Desperate for survival, the island must decide on a new strategy. Now, the fate of Eriana Kwai lies in the hands of twenty battle-trained girls and their resistance to a mermaid’s allure.
Eighteen-year-old Meela has already lost her brother to the Massacre, and she has lived with a secret that’s haunted her since childhood. For any hope of survival, she must overcome the demons of her past and become a ruthless mermaid killer.
For the first time, Eriana Kwai’s Massacre warriors are female, and Meela must fight for her people’s freedom on the Pacific Ocean’s deadliest battleground.
Well, this one sure is different than what I've read recently. Ice Massacre seems to defy all the guidelines of its genres, and it's perfect read because of that. Badassery? You bet. Killer mermaids? Oh, you got them. Unexcepted plot twists? Definitely.
Ice Massacre has amazing variety when it comes to characters. There's Meela, the strong, righteous and intelligent main character; Dani, the mean girl who's basically mermaid killer machine (and I'm just saying, her potrayal is kind of stunning); and basically there's ship full of badass females off to fight against mermaids and it's amazing how all those girls differs from each other. Also, there was snippets about the people in their home island - their families, friends and lovers - and I can't wait to see if the sequel introduces them more.
Only downside in this book was the beginning. It started good, introducing eighteen-year-old Meela, but then there was hundred pages worth of flashback story about Meela when she was ten. I admit, I got problems to get into it and continue reading because while I'm all for flashbacks, the backstory that long felt more like a middle grade story than new adult badass adventure. It was good backstory and there was various good scenes but it was too long in my opinion. However, overall the story was so phenomenal and mind-blowing that I will still give five stars because when the backstory was over, it was all about badass adventure/mermaid massacre story with all spices that I originally came for.
Ice Massacre is unique. I don't want to spoil anyone but the subtle romance snippets took me by surprise, same goes with the character and plot developement. It's not just aimless mermaid massacre, there's so much into it and I enjoyed the little mentions of politics around the island and their mentality, and I sure hope there's more of it coming. I highly recommend this to everyone because no matter the genres or anything else, this was mind-blowing, especially how it ignored the genre guidelines. If you think this is mostly romance because of the New Adult category, you couldn't be more surprised. I'm saying, give this one go. It's definitely worth of your time even if the backstory can be dull. It gets amazing after that.
I can't wait the sequel, Ice Crypt!
5 of 5 stars.
Ice Massacre has amazing variety when it comes to characters. There's Meela, the strong, righteous and intelligent main character; Dani, the mean girl who's basically mermaid killer machine (and I'm just saying, her potrayal is kind of stunning); and basically there's ship full of badass females off to fight against mermaids and it's amazing how all those girls differs from each other. Also, there was snippets about the people in their home island - their families, friends and lovers - and I can't wait to see if the sequel introduces them more.
Only downside in this book was the beginning. It started good, introducing eighteen-year-old Meela, but then there was hundred pages worth of flashback story about Meela when she was ten. I admit, I got problems to get into it and continue reading because while I'm all for flashbacks, the backstory that long felt more like a middle grade story than new adult badass adventure. It was good backstory and there was various good scenes but it was too long in my opinion. However, overall the story was so phenomenal and mind-blowing that I will still give five stars because when the backstory was over, it was all about badass adventure/mermaid massacre story with all spices that I originally came for.
Ice Massacre is unique. I don't want to spoil anyone but the subtle romance snippets took me by surprise, same goes with the character and plot developement. It's not just aimless mermaid massacre, there's so much into it and I enjoyed the little mentions of politics around the island and their mentality, and I sure hope there's more of it coming. I highly recommend this to everyone because no matter the genres or anything else, this was mind-blowing, especially how it ignored the genre guidelines. If you think this is mostly romance because of the New Adult category, you couldn't be more surprised. I'm saying, give this one go. It's definitely worth of your time even if the backstory can be dull. It gets amazing after that.
I can't wait the sequel, Ice Crypt!
5 of 5 stars.
Ice Massacre on Goodreads.
(A copy of this ebook was provided in return for an honest review.)
Haven't read many mermaid ones, but I'm all for badassery. Character developments are a biggy for me, so glad it was good on that side. :)
ReplyDeleteAnd badassery there was lots. The mermaids weren't anything like I've read before so it was quite good on that point too. Yeah, it's big thing for me too, maybe even one of the most important things for me to be able to enjoy the story.
Delete