3 November 2014

ARC Review: The Daughter of the Sea and the Sky by David Litwack

The Daughter of the Sea and the Sky
by David Litwack
Published by Evolved Publishing
Ebook (received from publisher via NetGalley, thank you!)
Adult, contemporary dystopia (?)
 
After centuries of religiously motivated war, the world has been split in two. Now the Blessed Lands are ruled by pure faith, while in the Republic, reason is the guiding light—two different realms, kept apart and at peace by a treaty and an ocean.

Children of the Republic, Helena and Jason were inseparable in their youth, until fate sent them down different paths. Grief and duty sidetracked Helena’s plans, and Jason came to detest the hollowness of his ambitions.

These two damaged souls are reunited when a tiny boat from the Blessed Lands crashes onto the rocks near Helena’s home after an impossible journey across the forbidden ocean. On board is a single passenger, a nine-year-old girl named Kailani, who calls herself “the Daughter of the Sea and the Sky.” A new and perilous purpose binds Jason and Helena together again, as they vow to protect the lost innocent from the wrath of the authorities, no matter the risk to their future and freedom.

But is the mysterious child simply a troubled little girl longing to return home? Or is she a powerful prophet sent to unravel the fabric of a godless Republic, as the outlaw leader of an illegal religious sect would have them believe? Whatever the answer, it will change them all forever… and perhaps their world as well.


I requested The Daughter of the Sea and the Sky because I wanted to read something different and it sounded good story and something I wouldn't usually pick up immedialy. I had some expectations like mature characters as they're older than what I usually read and I think, a different kind of perspektive. Also, it has really good ratings on Goodreads, the average is 4.26 and I don't think I've seen so high before. So yes, I had expectations. Sadly, the book didn't meet them.

Firstly, I got the image that this was supposed to be fantasy. While I'm flexible with the genres and read from different genres, it was a little disappointing that this had no fantasy elements. Mostly it felt like contemporary dystopia set in time that wasn't defined - if it makes anything sense. I could deal with that but I had difficulties with the religious aspect. The synopsis revealed that there will be some religious aspects but not the majority of it. The story took mostly place in the Republic which was place for rational thinking but mostly the story contained people who believed and yes, even preached about it. They also talked about it all the time. What was almost disturbing was that the child, Kailani, talked and preached basically all the time about the Spirit and yeah, it felt more like a preach book than literature. A fair warning would have been nice, especially since nowhere was said that it'll have this much religious aspects.

However, what I had most problems with was the characters. They were bland, especially Helena and Jason. And there was no chemistry, no spark, between them. People told them they were good together but they didn't do anything about it. It was just all about how they had walked together from school as children. There was no building between them, no romance and no chemistry, it just felt like it was given to reader: that hey, here's the romantic couple but I'm not giving you any build up or passion. Also, they were supposed to be adults. All of them, if Kailani wasn't included, but they didn't act like it. Helena and Jason basically didn't listen the government officials, the officials didn't communicate with each other and all they had left was a huge misunderstanding and it could've all been avoided if they had communicated. And it was quite, how I could say it, disturbing how most of the adults did what the kid, Kailani, said. What she wanted, she got - that was the basic feeling behind the story and it felt so unrealistic.

Maybe I'm being too critical here. There was nothing wrong with the writing style, some aspects in the story were enjoyable and last twenty pages saved so much because everything was explained and Kailani's actions made finally sense. But it was too late. I was so close giving up this one and my stubborness was only thing that kept me going. The ending saved a lot and the story would have been so much better if builded a little differently. Mainly explained some things earlier and actually builded a solid relationship between Helena and Jason - oh, and been a little less preachy.

So, I'm not saying The Daughter of the Sea and the Sky was horrible read but it just wasn't for me. If your interest pikes up, then give it a go but do your research first. As I said, it has really good rating on Goodreads and maybe I'm just a odd one in the mainstream. It wasn't for me but it could be for you.

2 of 5 stars.

The Daughter of the Sea and the Sky on Goodreads.

(A copy of this ebook was provided in return for an honest review.)

No comments:

Post a Comment