9 August 2016

Review: Stars Above by Marissa Meyer

Stars Above (Lunar Chronicles, #4.5)
by Marissa Meyer
Published by Feiwel & Friends
Paperback (purchased)
YA, retelling, sci-fi

The enchantment continues....

The universe of the Lunar Chronicles holds stories—and secrets—that are wondrous, vicious, and romantic. How did Cinder first arrive in New Beijing? How did the brooding soldier Wolf transform from young man to killer? When did Princess Winter and the palace guard Jacin realize their destinies?

With nine stories—
five of which have never before been published—and an exclusive never-before-seen excerpt from Marissa Meyer’s upcoming novel, Heartless, about the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland, Stars Above is essential for fans of the bestselling and beloved Lunar Chronicles.

--
The Little Android: A retelling of Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Little Mermaid,” set in the world of The Lunar Chronicles.Glitches: In this prequel to Cinder, we see the results of the plague play out, and the emotional toll it takes on Cinder. Something that may, or may not, be a glitch….The Queen’s Army: In this prequel to Scarlet, we’re introduced to the army Queen Levana is building, and one soldier in particular who will do anything to keep from becoming the monster they want him to be.Carswell’s Guide to Being Lucky: Thirteen-year-old Carswell Thorne has big plans involving a Rampion spaceship and a no-return trip out of Los Angeles.The Keeper: A prequel to the Lunar Chronicles, showing a young Scarlet and how Princess Selene came into the care of Michelle Benoit.After Sunshine Passes By: In this prequel to Cress, we see how a nine-year-old Cress ended up alone on a satellite, spying on Earth for Luna.The Princess and the Guard: In this prequel to Winter, we see a game called The PrincessThe Mechanic: In this prequel to Cinder, we see Kai and Cinder’s first meeting from Kai’s perspective.Something Old, Something New: In this epilogue to Winter, friends gather for the wedding of the century...


Stars Above is a collection of short stories from the Lunar Chronicles universe and all except Little Android centers around the well known characters from the series. The collection is as diverse as the series itself, and I really enjoyed reading those stories and getting a good ending for the series with the epilogue Something New, Something Old.

I liked how all the main characters got their own novella, and some of them brought more to the series than others but all of them were really enjoyable. I loved how the Princess and the Guard novella exploided Winter and Jacin's past and why they made the choices that led them to the situation they were at the beginning of fourth book. However, the one I most loved besides The Queen's Army, which I have read and reviewed previously, was The Keeper that tells the story of Michelle. She's strong character and I loved to see how she got involved the whole business with keeping Cinder save, and of course, it featured little and fierce Scarlet so it was just perfect. And of course, Something New, Something Old was so good with the wedding of century (even if I wished the narrator character would have been different but well, cannot get everything).

I highly recommend this for any Lunar Chronicles fans, because I'm sure there's something for everyone as the novellas features different characters from the series. My personal favourites were The Keeper and Something New, Something Old, as well as previously read The Queen's Army - for the reason that they all featured or centered around my favourites, Scarlet and/or Wolf.

4 of 5 stars.

5 comments:

  1. I tend to stay away from collections and novellas but I really loved the Lunar Chronicles so I may have to pick this one up. I'm glad to hear all the stories were enjoyable and that there was one for each character! Awesome review :)

    Ashtyn @ Wonderland’s Reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) Yes, it was really nice that there was one for every character and if you liked Cinder, you'll be happy to know that she has small parts in multiple stories.

      Delete
  2. I loved the Lunar Chronicle series myself, even though sometimes I sympathize with Levana, I think she's a great villain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a villain she was good, yes, but I never sympathized with her for all she did to Wolf and others. I haven't read Levana's story though, maybe it would make me more sympathetic towards her but I don't know if I ever read it. Thank you, Ailyn, for leaving a comment!

      Delete
  3. I've been meaning to get to this because I so loved the Lunar Chronicles. I did read Fairest which was a backstory book on Queen Levana and a complete novel at that. Although this one is a collection - I really want it!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete