15 August 2016

Quest Post: Three Types of Research by Saruuh Kelsey

I'm really glad to host Saruuh Kelsey for a quest post at the dawn of her new book's, The Powers of Callaire, release. It'll be available tomorrow.

You can find Saruuh on twitter or on her website.


Three Types of Research
by Saruuh Kelsey

I have three types of research whenever I’m planning or writing a book. There’s the mass bulk of research I do before I write a book, which consists of internet research, checking a whole lot of relevant books out of the library, and any first hand research I can do where it’s possible. This takes around two to three months of heavy research.

While I’d have loved to walk around Romania for The Powers of Callare research, it wasn’t exactly feasible. Instead I turned to one of my favourite methods of location research.

Google Maps
Google Maps, especially Google Earth, is a fallible mess at the best of times. I’ve had a hundred messy experiences with it—being dumped in bypasses, somehow being stuck in a shop in Mumbai I can’t get back out of, being placed in another city entirely—but I could never have made the places in my books as detailed as they are without seeing it through Google. I use travel journals and blog posts from people who live and have visited the area to get authentic details and information—local culture, events and, a super important one for me, sounds and smells—but without the map and Google Earth, I’d never be able to build the setting properly.

Another type of research I do is while writing the book. It’s a more urgent type of research than the initial bulk, where I just gather information and sort through the relevant stuff. At the writing stage, I’m looking for a quick answer to a question my manuscript has thrown at me, or a way to fill in a gap I’ve suddenly found. When this happens, I turn to internet research. When I’m trying to fill in a gap (for example in my next book, The Revelation, I needed to know how the poor lit their homes in the late 1800s) I turn to a specialist website or a handy archive.

Archive. Org
This place is brilliant … for some stuff. It’s not so hot on others, but for a lot of subjects it’s amazing. You just type what you want to know about in the search bar and it pulls up a myriad of helpful things. Books, websites, and my person favourite—sounds. I didn’t find what I was looking for in regards to poor lighting their homes, but I found an AMAZING sound clip of Victorian life. Having that playing in the background while researching and planning the book has given it life and detail previous books lacked.

The last kind of research I do is rushed and hectic and takes place while editing the already-written book. If I’m editing and I come across a place in my book that lacks detail or a fact to flesh out the story, I’ll usually reach for whatever book I have to hand on the subject. If that fails, it’s back to the good ol’ internet research, and rinse and repeat until I’ve fixed the problem.


The Powers of Callaire (The Legend Mirror, #3), out August 16th
YA Urban Fantasy
Add on Goodreads.

Summary:
Yasmin’s girlfriend is dead, but she will stop at nothing to bring Fray back. Even if that means going to the Otherland and making a bargain with the Ruler of All Souls. If Yasmin finds Pluto’s lost power, they’ll return Fray’s soul to her body. 

Yasmin’s search takes her, and two of her friends, from Bucharest to France to Wales, and exposes a horrifying secret with Venus, Yasmin’s mother, at the heart of it. With a murderous, fiery god and the incarnation of death in her way, Yasmin will have to compromise her morals and harness the Legendary power in her veins. If she fails, Fray’s soul will be lost forever. 


The Powers of Callaire is available for pre-order on Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment