A Walk to Rememberby Nicholas Sparks
Published by Grant Central Publishing
Paperback (purchased)
YA, contemporary, romance, historical fiction (kind of)
Every April, when the wind blows from the sea and mingles with the scent of lilacs, Landon Carter remembers his last year at Beaufort High. It was 1958, and Landon had already dated a girl or two. He even swore that he had once been in love. Certainly the last person in town he thought he'd fall for was Jamie Sullivan, the daughter of the town's Baptist minister.
A quiet girl who always carried a Bible with her schoolbooks, Jamie seemed content living in a world apart from the other teens. She took care of her widowed father, rescued hurt animals, and helped out at the local orphanage. No boy had ever asked her out. Landon would never have dreamed of it.
Then a twist of fate made Jamie his partner for the homecoming dance, and Landon Carter's life would never be the same. Being with Jamie would show him the depths of the human heart and lead him to a decision so stunning it would send him irrevocably on the road to manhood...
I saw the movie years ago and I loved it so much. Now, when I finally got around buying copy of the book I thought it would be good - it must if the movie was so stunningly beautiful. However, the book and the movie are quite different. The book is all true fifties fashion and more is said by little gestures than kisses and overall, it was very different. Still, I loved it and this is one of the rare times when I can say that I loved both the book and the movie even though they were so different.
A Walk to Remember is beautiful story about a boy who grows up and how his life took the form it took. A twist of fate, like the blurb says. It's stunningly emotional and there's not many books that got me crying in the end. I confess: I haven't read Sparks other books nor seen the movies (other than Notebook) so I can't say if he's other stories are as emotional as this. Whether they are or not, A Walk to Remember truly is a wonderful story. I liked how it was set in the fifties - even though I nornally don't read books set in that time - and how the gestures and manners gave the story so much more. How it shows that loving isn't about kissing and sex and all that instant physical attraction as the stories nowadays seems to be. Not that there's anything wrong with those kind of stories, I like them too but it was so fresh to read something like this. How the gestures truly mattered, how Landon and Jamie's relationship grew a little by little until it manifested. So beautiful.
And characters. Let me love all of them. Really, every single one of them. Landon has special place in my heart and it's so perfect because they all felt like real people. There wasn't the normal compination of good characters, grey characters and bad characters but a great compination of people. Sparks really got his characters right, their story and their life and I couldn't help but love them all.
Get tissues when reading this one - and what's best, it's worth every single tear. Stunningly beautiful and it will play with your heart's strings but you'll love every single moment. I recommend this to everyone!
A Walk to Remember is beautiful story about a boy who grows up and how his life took the form it took. A twist of fate, like the blurb says. It's stunningly emotional and there's not many books that got me crying in the end. I confess: I haven't read Sparks other books nor seen the movies (other than Notebook) so I can't say if he's other stories are as emotional as this. Whether they are or not, A Walk to Remember truly is a wonderful story. I liked how it was set in the fifties - even though I nornally don't read books set in that time - and how the gestures and manners gave the story so much more. How it shows that loving isn't about kissing and sex and all that instant physical attraction as the stories nowadays seems to be. Not that there's anything wrong with those kind of stories, I like them too but it was so fresh to read something like this. How the gestures truly mattered, how Landon and Jamie's relationship grew a little by little until it manifested. So beautiful.
And characters. Let me love all of them. Really, every single one of them. Landon has special place in my heart and it's so perfect because they all felt like real people. There wasn't the normal compination of good characters, grey characters and bad characters but a great compination of people. Sparks really got his characters right, their story and their life and I couldn't help but love them all.
Get tissues when reading this one - and what's best, it's worth every single tear. Stunningly beautiful and it will play with your heart's strings but you'll love every single moment. I recommend this to everyone!
5 of 5 stars.
A Walk to Remember on Goodreads.
No comments:
Post a Comment