9 September 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Underrated Authors In YA (and NA)


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week participating bloggers can create lists of topic given by the host, and share them with others!

This is mostly about YA but I had to add NA there because one of the most underrated authors (and my personal favourite) writes mainly NA - but it's mainly because her characters are eighteen or nineteen and while her stories are NA there isn't huge amount of sex - if there's sex at all. So that's why NA, too.
 
1. Kelley York
Yes, she's the author. My favourite. I've only read two of her books, Hushed and Made of Stars but I'm definitely reading her self-published books Suicide Watch and Dirty London soon (Hushed and Made of Stars are published by Entangled). York's stories are a little bit dark but then again, everything worth of anything must hurt at least a little bit. And she's genious. I love her characters, stories and everything. She's definitely underrated!
 
2. Veronica Rossi
Everyone's at least heard of her, about Under the Never Sky trilogy but she's underrated. Everyone's raving about The Hunger Games and Divergent while in my opinion, Rossi has the most amazing dystopian series with great variety of awesome characters. She's amazing and her writing is awesome. Why aren't we talking about how strong character Aria is instead of always raving about Tris? I'm Team UTNS.
 
3. Dan Wells
Well, I confess that I've only read Partials from him. BUT. Partials is awesome and it's so perfect because it doesn't focus romance or some bullshit troubles. It's freaking cool dystopia with perfectly build world. I'm definitely reading Fragments and Ruins when I get my hands on them. And Wells' other series, too.
 
4. Sally Green
Everyone's probably heard about Half Bad but how many have actually read it? Appreciated it? I loved Half Bad, it was stunning, captivating and yeah, I wanted save Nathan from everyone. I'm not huge fan of magic in YA because often it ends up being so... boring - well if we don't count Harry Potters because that's awesome. Half Bad is about old school magic and it was so good and why haven't you read it? Read, it's good and Green is definitely underrated.
 
5. Sarah Crossan
Okay, again, I confess that I've only read Breathe. I do own Resist and I have every intention to read it soon-ish. Breathe is so awesome dystopian that there's no boundaries (and it's duology - how freaking many dystopians are duologys? not many). Also, Crossan has a couple of contemporaries and they sound intriguing. I really need to get them.
 
6. Janet Edwards
I really need to read Earth Star and Earth Flight but let me just say that Earth Girl was truly good. It was so perfect, Jarra was amazing and strong character and the romance wasn't the main point and if you want, you can read Earth Girl as a standalone and not read the two following books. Also, there's history in it. Like they freaking study history/archaelogy in future and it's so awesome because so often in dystopia/sci-fi YA books they ignores history. We don't have future unless we have history.
 
7. Jus Accardo
Why she isn't worshipped? Hmm? She has tons of amazing books, both YA and NA and her writing and characters are so witty, snarky and perfect little beings. The Denazen series (Touch, Toxic, Tremble + two untitled books) is so good, Rules of Survival is fun and captivating and yeah, haven't read rest of her books yet but I'm planning to read Ruined and Darker Days soon. I trust Accardo, she writes amazing stories and characters that I can't help but love.
 
Okay, that was all and I'm going to leave it that way even though there's not ten. I'll let it go this time.

2 comments:

  1. I adore Veronica Rossi. Under the Never Sky was amazing. I have Partials, Half Bad and Breathe and I REALLY need to read them, especially since I'm finding them on quite a few lists today! I will DEFINITELY check out the rest of the authors on your list!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Yes, I must read Veronica Rossi. I really cant rave about Tris. She bothers/bores the shite out of me.

    ReplyDelete