The Beautiful and the Cursed (The Dispossessed, #1)by Page Morgan
Published by Hot Key Books
Paperback (borrowed from library)
YA, paranormal, romance, historical fiction
After a bizarre accident, Ingrid Waverly is forced to leave London with her mother and younger sister, Gabby, trading a world full of fancy dresses and society events for the unfamiliar city of Paris.
In Paris there are no grand balls or glittering parties, and, disturbingly, the house Ingrid’s twin brother, Grayson, found for them isn’t a house at all. It’s an abandoned abbey, its roof lined with stone gargoyles that could almost be mistaken for living, breathing creatures.
And Grayson has gone missing.
No one seems to know of his whereabouts but Luc, a devastatingly handsome servant at their new home.
Ingrid is sure her twin isn’t dead—she can feel it deep in her soul—but she knows he’s in grave danger. It will be up to her and Gabby to navigate the twisted path to Grayson, a path that will lead Ingrid on a discovery of dark secrets and otherworldly truths. And she’ll learn that once they are uncovered, they can never again be buried.
Writing this review has taken way too long but not because the book was bad - on the opposite, it was brilliant. The world-building was luminous even though the feeling it created was darker and Morgan is so talented author: I felt like I was walking misty Parisian streets while gargoyles watched over me. And the historical aspect, oh my how long I've waited for story like this! Morgan truly is talented, so brilliant and stunning that I'll definitely read everything she writes now on. The Beautiful and the Cursed was everything I hoped for it to be: great historical fiction, gothic feeling, brilliant characters and fast paced story. I got it all and loved every minute I spend with this book.
Characters are important part of the story. The Beautiful and the Cursed had wonderful cast different kind of characters and they all were lovable or likable and that has pretty much never happened with me during stories. There's always couple of characters that irks me wrong way but not this time. Ingrid, Luc, Vander and Marco were definitely my favourites! Ingrid was solid main character, strong and stubborn but not overly so. Luc was mysterious and it's hard to know the meaning behind his words and actions while Vander was more clear on that matter but also such lovable characters (and he works in a bookstore, what could be better?). Marco was a little bit more mystery but promising altogether and I can't wait to find more about him! Gabriela, other main character and Ingrid's sister was good, strong character though sometimes she was too stubborn and that caused some problems. Nolan was good character, too, intriguing and I really liked him. And Grayson. I liked him, too, and I'm anxiously waiting what will happen to him on the sequel.
The Beautiful and the Cursed was brilliant, as simply as that. Even the possible love triangles didn't feel consuming everything else because there was solid plot, action and such a great characters. And gargoyles. Do I need to say more? Brilliant, stunning and definitely worth a read. Now all I need is the sequel.
Characters are important part of the story. The Beautiful and the Cursed had wonderful cast different kind of characters and they all were lovable or likable and that has pretty much never happened with me during stories. There's always couple of characters that irks me wrong way but not this time. Ingrid, Luc, Vander and Marco were definitely my favourites! Ingrid was solid main character, strong and stubborn but not overly so. Luc was mysterious and it's hard to know the meaning behind his words and actions while Vander was more clear on that matter but also such lovable characters (and he works in a bookstore, what could be better?). Marco was a little bit more mystery but promising altogether and I can't wait to find more about him! Gabriela, other main character and Ingrid's sister was good, strong character though sometimes she was too stubborn and that caused some problems. Nolan was good character, too, intriguing and I really liked him. And Grayson. I liked him, too, and I'm anxiously waiting what will happen to him on the sequel.
The Beautiful and the Cursed was brilliant, as simply as that. Even the possible love triangles didn't feel consuming everything else because there was solid plot, action and such a great characters. And gargoyles. Do I need to say more? Brilliant, stunning and definitely worth a read. Now all I need is the sequel.
5 of 5 stars.
The Beautiful and the Cursed on Goodreads.
No comments:
Post a Comment