10 March 2017

Review: Stag's Run by Zaya Feli

Stag's Run (Iron Breakers, #1)
by Zaya Feli
Self-published
Ebook (free on Amazon)
LGBT, fantasy, adventure

Ren Frayne is the bastard son of the Queen of Frayne, a title he’s more than comfortable with when it brings him limited responsibilities and all the luxuries of life he could ever want. But when the king and Ren’s half-brother, Crown Prince Hellic are brutally murdered, Ren is accused. Now, he is forced to flee the city together with the mysterious prisoner Anik who may know how to survive in the wild, but who seems to have an agenda of his own, one that may spell danger for Ren.
Ren’s accuser now sits on his family’s throne, and things are about to get much, much worse. It may be time to seek help in unexpected places.


Stag's Run is a fast-paced story that kept me on the edge of my seat. Ren, the queen's bastard son, is accused of murdering the king and his heir Hellic, Ren's brother. With the help of his few friends, Ren's off to run, trying to find any allies he can to fight the enemy who sits on his family's throne.

Ren is adorable, clueless and precious. He's also bisexual which I rarely see but absolutely love because representation! The life in royal palace and capital of the kingdom is all he has ever known so being on the run with a former slave, Anik, from another nation is full of difficulties. While Ren is an open book, Anik is mostly a puzzle, a mystery. He and Ren are the opposite and they don't particularly get on well but they need each other to escape the capital. I can't wait to see both of their character arcs - how Ren will grow to be the man he can be, because he certainly has a heart in a right place even if he's spoiled royal child; and I just want to know more about Anik.

For a first book in series, Stag's Run was solid. However, it could have been longer which would have made it more than solid. While there was introduction to the world and characters, some character development and plenty of plots going around, I wished a bit more intense feelings; the dawning relationships could have used a bit more deepening. I guess that's going to happen in the sequel but I would have loved to get more deeper feelings.

I do recommend this to those who enjoy royal/medieval/fantasy/adventure books.

4 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment