19 March 2017

Review: The Fever Code by James Dashner

The Fever Code (The Maze Runner, #0.6)
by James Dashner
Published by Chicken House
Hardcover (purchased)
YA, dystopia, sci-fi

The world has ended: the earth is scorched, and fever rages through the population. Out of the chaos, a boy emerges with the power to change everything: Thomas. This is the start of his story. An electrifying Maze Runner prequel, The Fever Code holds all the answers: How did WICKED find the Gladers? Who are Group B? Whose side are Thomas and Teresa really on? Lies will be exposed. Secrets uncovered. Loyalties proven. You'll never see the truth coming...






Note to other readers, please don't read this book before the original trilogy, because this is basically full of spoilers.

I read the original Maze Runner trilogy years ago and absolutely loved it; The Fever Code is something I've been waiting for years. 

I was both pleased and disappointed with this one. I mean, I got to know the origin stories of the characters I fell in love so long ago: Thomas, Newt, Minho, Chuck, Alby and many others. The story offered even bigger insight of WICKED (which is just that they are all bad and screwed up for doing all this and you can't convince me otherwise). Some parts really broke my heart, especially the beginning with Thomas's childhood and how WICKED treated the young Gladers. But oh my did I love all the scenes with the Glader gang, and to see how their friendship was build. How Newt has always been so adorable, how Minho had probably the most fight in him, how Chuck was always the adorable little brother, and everything. Just everything. Although, I wanted to smack Thomas a few times because he had a tendency to be a bit naive when it came to certain things.

The only thing I could have done without was Teresa. I despised her from the very beginning, since I read The Maze Runner, and this just cemented my hate for her. The level of hate I have for Teresa as a character is the same level with Dolores Umbridge, and I just hate her with everlasting passion. Teresa was rude, boring and just downright wicked.

The first half of the story was really good, it had answers and actions and heartbreak, but then it slowed a bit too much. The middle was mostly boring, especially since it mainly included only Thomas and Teresa, and nothing happened. The last hundred pages or so picked up nicely again.

Overall, I liked The Fever Code, but I can't help but be a little disappointed because of the boring middle bit and how much focus there was on Teresa at times when I was interested in everything else. Would I recommend it? Yes, if you're a fan of the trilogy, then yes.

4 of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment