So, today we have ten books from my teenager years that I'd like to revisit, and probably would if there weren't so many new books I want to read. But, here we go:
That Was Then, This Is Now by S.E. Hinton
I've read all Hinton's books but That Was Then, This Is Now stayed with me like no other. It broke my poor little heart, and all I could do was to love it even more. Hinton surely knows how to wrench her reader's heartstrings but at the same time she tells so powerful growing stories. I can't even with Bryon and Mark. This is so special and dear book to me, and changed a lot.
Tex by S.E. Hinton
Very true Hinton style book, but Tex had something happier in it. Still messed up with my heartstrings and I have read Tex many times already but the story never goes old. It's beautiful story, and I love how Hinton deals with family problems and how her characters have such strong relationships, especially brotherhoods.
Very true Hinton style book, but Tex had something happier in it. Still messed up with my heartstrings and I have read Tex many times already but the story never goes old. It's beautiful story, and I love how Hinton deals with family problems and how her characters have such strong relationships, especially brotherhoods.
Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
I'm sure I don't need to explain this one.
I'm sure I don't need to explain this one.
Atonement by Ian McEwan
Atonement had such an impact on me when I was my teens. It's powerful story and I love how it doesn't shame anything. I cried so much for Robbie and Cecilia. I've never been into war stories, still aren't, but Atonement is exception to that and will always be. I've read it probably four times but I could revisit it any day.
Atonement had such an impact on me when I was my teens. It's powerful story and I love how it doesn't shame anything. I cried so much for Robbie and Cecilia. I've never been into war stories, still aren't, but Atonement is exception to that and will always be. I've read it probably four times but I could revisit it any day.
Eragon by Christopher Paolini
Alonside with Harry Potter, Eragon made me love fantasy. I know a lot of people critize Paolini for many things but I always loved Eragon, no matter how slow it was at times. I still need to read Inheritance but I'd love to re-read all the three books before that.
Alonside with Harry Potter, Eragon made me love fantasy. I know a lot of people critize Paolini for many things but I always loved Eragon, no matter how slow it was at times. I still need to read Inheritance but I'd love to re-read all the three books before that.
Stardust by Neil Gaiman
What there's not to love? Such a good story telling, wonderful characters, plot, and the fairytale feeling without it being actual fairytale (close, but still). I love the book, I love the movie. I should revisit Stardust someday, even though I've already read it countless times.
What there's not to love? Such a good story telling, wonderful characters, plot, and the fairytale feeling without it being actual fairytale (close, but still). I love the book, I love the movie. I should revisit Stardust someday, even though I've already read it countless times.
Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
I actually saw the movie first and while I did love it, I prefer the book. I loved the idea that Winifred was just a child when she met Tuck's, not teenager. Such heartfelt story about immortality, beats every vampire tale any given day.
I actually saw the movie first and while I did love it, I prefer the book. I loved the idea that Winifred was just a child when she met Tuck's, not teenager. Such heartfelt story about immortality, beats every vampire tale any given day.
Holes by Louis Sachar
I don't know about other countries, but here in Finland Holes was must read during secondary school. Everyone had to read it. Nobody wanted and there was so much rumors how boring Holes is and everything. It turned out to be so good! Although, I did love Small Steps more than Holes but I've read Small Steps many times but Holes only once, so I'd like to re-read it.
I don't know about other countries, but here in Finland Holes was must read during secondary school. Everyone had to read it. Nobody wanted and there was so much rumors how boring Holes is and everything. It turned out to be so good! Although, I did love Small Steps more than Holes but I've read Small Steps many times but Holes only once, so I'd like to re-read it.
My Swordhand Is Singing by Marcus Sedgwick
I was scared when I read this. Nervous, afraid and all things like that. It was maybe a little bit too gore for little me at time. Because let's face it, after reading Twilight, My Swordhand Is Singing has vampires from your nightmares. Still, it was darn good story and I'd like to revisit it and see whether it's as scary as I remember.
I was scared when I read this. Nervous, afraid and all things like that. It was maybe a little bit too gore for little me at time. Because let's face it, after reading Twilight, My Swordhand Is Singing has vampires from your nightmares. Still, it was darn good story and I'd like to revisit it and see whether it's as scary as I remember.
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
I don't know if there's re-read or revisit list from me that doesn't include Wuthering Heights. I just love it so much and it had such impact on me when I read it - I was probably fourteen or fifteen at the time. It really made me see, how love isn't always pure, simple, easy or rational. Sometimes it's messy, hurtful, obsessive and irrational. And that's what makes it so great, so tragic. Yes, Heathcliff and Cathy ruined me, after that sweet, pure and caring romance hasn't been the same. For me, love stories need to be a little bit irrational and a lot of hurt to really be great.
What books from your teens you'd love to revisit?
I don't know if there's re-read or revisit list from me that doesn't include Wuthering Heights. I just love it so much and it had such impact on me when I read it - I was probably fourteen or fifteen at the time. It really made me see, how love isn't always pure, simple, easy or rational. Sometimes it's messy, hurtful, obsessive and irrational. And that's what makes it so great, so tragic. Yes, Heathcliff and Cathy ruined me, after that sweet, pure and caring romance hasn't been the same. For me, love stories need to be a little bit irrational and a lot of hurt to really be great.
What books from your teens you'd love to revisit?





I loved Stardust but I read it as an adult. Harry Potter also qualifies as post-teen reading, otherwise it would have been on my list. I haven't read the rest on your list except for the S.E. Hinton. I actually met her a few years ago. She was at the Book Expo just sitting alone at a table by University of Oklahoma Press. My friend and I went over to her (we knew it was her and nobody else did) and sat down for a half hour and talked to her. She's SO nice! She signed some books for us, too. Great list!
ReplyDeleteMichelle @ Michelle's Minions
My TTT
In Ohio, USA, Holes was required reading too. I haven't read Small Steps yet though.
ReplyDeleteCheck out my TTT.
I love that you included Stardust. I read it as an adult, but I remember thinking to myself, I want to read this with a kid (the only part that gave me pause on that was that poor unicorn...)
ReplyDelete