17 February 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Related Problems I Have


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week participating bloggers can create lists of topic given by the host, and share them with others!

Here I present to you seven book related problems I have:

1. Choosing which edition to buy. Oh, it's hell. It's easy if I really dislike either UK or US covers so then I know. Otherwise it's hard. UK paperbacks are usually cheaper so I go for them, but I love US paperbacks because they're so much easier to read (I love the flappy paperbacks!). So yeah, it's hard. Especially if there's two to four different covers per book, then it's hellish.
 
2. Cover changes. Almost always the cover changes are not good ones. And even if they're good ones, I'm probably mad if the covers don't match. It's so frustrating. I mean, stick with the cover, would you? I also hate it when they re-print books and change to covers. I mean, we have like ten different covers for Harry Potter. I want the original UK ones but it's almost impossible to find them because they're out of print because there's these new covers (that I don't even like). So yeah. Stick with the covers!
 
3. Lack of standalones. Seriously, when people just stop making trilogies just because of money, huh? Most of the trilogies could have been in one or two book. Some deserve trilogies but some just not. Or then there just should be more standalones - especially on dystopia, fantasy, sci-fi etc. since there is quite a lot contemporary standalones.
 
4. Finishing series. I'm bad at it. Recently I finished Janet Edwards' Earth Girl trilogy and I'm so proud of myself! But it was exceptionally good. I get stuck with series because usually I like the first book. I love the introduction to characters, world, romance etc, all of it! But usually sequels and last books in series, they tend to bring new characters (whom I usually end up disliking), love triangle (simply no), the main character makes poor choices (which is irritating) or lots of other things. So I tend to read first book, fell in love with it, buy the sequels and then I just can't read them. I fear them so much. However, I'm trying to get better and actually finish some series this year.
 
(There's also the fact that if the first book came out three to five years ago, there's a chance I'm not into that kind of genre/characters/plot etc anymore. It's just so sad.)
 
5. Forgetting books on my Kindle app. I don't have reading device but I do use Kindle app on my phone and laptop. And I always forget what I have there, or I just forget to read them. I mean, physical copies? They're on my shelves and when I choose what to read, I go for them. Review copies I read because I've more or less scheduled them. But books on my Kindle app? I read them if I have nothing else to read (which never happens) or if the book is only available as ebook and I had to have it.
 
6. When there's no blub on back of a book, but quotes of reviews. No, don't do that. I want to know synopsis, not whether some author/critiq thought about it or worse, if it's for the fans of Twilight, The Hunger Games or some other popular book. (Fact: if they recommend the book for fans of some book I didn't like, I probably won't buy it. Unless there is a blurb and it's sinfully good.)
 
7. When I run out of bookshelf space. It's especially annoying when I've organized my shelves - I have my favourites shelf that also contains my LGBT books. But it's full. So I need a whole shelf for LGBT books, another for favourites and yeah, I don't have that much space especially since school books and school files takes some shelves. (I need library.)

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I really don't like cover changes! Especially when the original is better or when it's a few books into a series (and now my covers don't match). I am SO BAD at finishing up series. I have a whole bunch I need to finish and I don't know why I haven't. I'm trying to get better with this. My house is completely overrun with books and I'm pretty sure I'll never have enough shelves. Great list!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm awful at finishing series because I always forget about them whilst waiting for the next book. There are so many series that I have re-discovered like 2 years later! I hate it when my covers don't match, but it's always awkward when someone gets me a book in a series as a gift and it doesn't match my other books and I can't exactly tell them it's the wrong one! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I hate cover changes. It makes me so frustrated because then my series doesn't match any more on my shelves. I also hate running out of bookshelf space. I've recently ran out and I think I may have to purge some books. Thanks for sharing!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice list of book related problems!! Here's a link to my TTT for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/02/top-ten-tuesday-ten-book-related.html

    ReplyDelete