Earth Star (Earth Girl, #2)by Janet Edwards
Published by Harper Voyager
Paperback (purchased)
YA, sci-fi
18-year-old Jarra has a lot to prove. After being awarded one of the military’s highest honours for her role in a daring rescue attempt, Jarra finds herself – and her Ape status – in the spotlight. Jarra is one of the unlucky few born with an immune system that cannot survive on other planets. Derided as an ‘ape’ – a ‘throwback’ – by the rest of the universe, Jarra is on a mission to prove that Earth Girls are just as good as anyone else.
Except now the planet she loves is under threat by what could be humanity’s first ever alien contact. Jarra’s bravery – and specialist knowledge – will once again be at the centre of the maelstrom, but will the rest of the universe consider Earth worth fighting for?
Earth Girl is one of my favourite books and naturally, I had high expectations for Earth Star. Honestly, I was a little bit afraid to read it because I didn't want to be disappointed. All my doubts were silly. Earth Star made me love it almost as much as Earth Girl, and it exceeded all my expectations.
Earth Star starts where the previous one ended, and it gets fast exciting as the class moves to Eden Dig Side to Earth Africa. However, it doesn't take long until the Military calls Jarra and Fian to assist them with their knowledge, because it seems humanity has faced intelligent alien contact - in Earth. It sure was exciting and a little bit terrifying as I was afraid for Jarra's and Earth's behalf. However, I was so glad there still was lots of history, archaelogy, and all the other things I loved in the first book. Some ways, Edwards exceeded herself and the writing was so flowing, fast paced, and I couldn't help but devour the story! I especially love all the history stuff, both familiar with history I study and all the things that have happened between twenty first century and year 2788 where Jarra lives. It's so perfect world-building and what many YA books set in future doesn't have.
The characters were all zan, as previously. Jarra is the star of them all, I love and adore her so much. She's just so human with her flaws. I mean, she's pretty badass and really smart but she has hard time expressing her feelings and talking about them which causes problems but she owns them up. And what's maybe the best, it the fact that Fian is there for her. Fian sees through Jarra's bullshit and he calls her up and makes her talk when she tries to avoid it. Fian is stubborn and just so adorable, and I love how they fit together. It's not easy as Jarra is a Handicap and Fian is a norm but they make it work because they love each other, and fit together. I ship them maybe more than any other pairing.
The secondary characters were amaz (as they would say), too. Playdon is good, solid adult and I love how much he cares about his students and fights for them. Jarra's dig team, Amalie, Krath and Dalmora, was around a lot and I was happy to get to know them better. Drago was a new a acquaintance and I fell so hard. First of all, I loved how we get to know gorgeous, smart, badass male character and still, there was so love triangle. Drago was there and he was amazing, and yes, maybe the biggest flirt but no love triangle. It's fresh and I was so happy about it.
I have nothing but praises for Earth Star. It exceeded all my expectations, made me devour it and love all the characters even more than before (how it was even possible?). Incredible story and I will start the final book of the trilogy, Earth Flight, right away. I highly recommend everyone to read Earth Girl, and if you like it, then you must read Earth Star!
Definitely worth of time!
5 of 5 stars.
Earth Star on Goodreads.
No comments:
Post a Comment