20 February 2015

Review: Possess by Sarah Dalton

Possess (Mary Hades, #2)
by Sarah Dalton
Self-published
Ebook (received via Xpresso Book Tours)
YA, paranormal, horror


Mary Hades is drawn back into the world of the macabre as she moves with her family into the mysterious old house, Ravenswood. The mere mention of Ravenswood induces terror among the locals, and when strange things begin to occur, Mary and Lacey decide to get to the bottom of the secret hidden in the historic house once and for all.

As a dark power gathers, Mary finds her life becomes interconnected with the disturbing events that transpired in 1847 to eleven year old Liza Blair. The more Mary is drawn into Liza’s story, the more she realises someone close to her is in grave danger from the sinister energy at Ravenswood.

Set in the backdrop of an unsettling forest, and with strange neighbour Emmaline Delacroix obsessed with death and séances, Possess will take you even deeper into the murky depths of Mary Hades’s unusual life.
 

Mary Hades, the first book, was unique; a little bit scary, somewhat romantic, about friendship and overall quite wonderful read (my review is here). I expected Possess to be same, a little different journey but including all those elements that made the first book unique. I didn't get what I expected and while the story still was good, it wasn't for me.
Possess is a whole lot darker and scarier than Mary Hades was. The plot seems to focus around a house which is affecting its inhabitants, and Mary moves there with her parents. The other thing the plot focuses is the relationship Mary and her mother have. However, it wasn't satisfying. Dalton's writing style is fast paces while being detailed and I enjoyed it very much, so it's not about lacking of any kind when it comes to writing stye or even characters. The characters were intriguing: Mary continued to be strong, indepented and quite smart, and new layers were revealed about Mary's mother Susan, and Lacey was her lovely self. However, the plot and overall structure lacked in this book. It felt like spin off from series which didn't reveal new things or have major character development. It was more about story of haunted house of sorts than proper, intriguing and captivating sequel. I was disappointed especially since I had been waiting for the sequel so much.
 
The story was also scary, chilling and very much horror. I liked Mary Hads and how it wasn't too scary but Possess was a whole lot scarier (and there was lots of gore), and I couldn't enjoy the story very much when I spend most of time being afraid of shadows (yes, I am scaredy cat!)
 
The good thing was that there was no romance. Not even potential love interest! It was unique in YA so Dalton deserves a huge applaud for that.
 
I recommend Possess for those who enjoy scary, chilling stories about ghost and haunted houses. But for me it was too scary and chilling, and didn't have enough plot elements and story development. (I'm so sad that there wasn't even a mention of Neil and Lemarr, I liked them so much in the first book!)
 
2 of 5 stars.
 
Possess on Goodreads.

(A copy of this ebook was provided in return for an honest review.)

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't like this book as much! I think I'd like it more, since I like scary stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you should definitely try Possess because the writing is good and I think you would like Mary, too :)

      Delete