The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)by Rick Riordan
Published by Puffin
Paperback (purchased)
YA, fantasy, mythology, adventure
OLD ENEMIES AWAKEN AS CAMP HALF-BLOOD'S NEW ARRIVALS PREPARE FOR WAR
When Jason, Piper and Leo crash land at Camp Half-Blood, they have no idea what to expect. Apparently this is the only safe place for children of the Greek Gods - despite the monsters roaming the woods and demigods practising archery with flaming arrows and explosives. But rumours of a terrible curse - and a missing hero - are flying around camp. It seems Jason, Piper and Leo are the chosen ones to embark on a terrifying new quest, which they must complete by the winter solstice. In just four days time. Can the trio succeed on this deadly mission - and what must they sacrifice in order to survive?
It took me years to pick this up. I absolutely love Percy Jackson and the Olympians and have done so since I read it when I was a teenager. When The Lost Hero was first published, I didn't pick it up because it didn't have Percy and I was hesitant about the Roman gods aspect since I've always been more into Greek mythology. I'm not sure what changed, but eventually I decided to give this one a shot when I heard that the old gang would be main characters in later books in this series. All of my hesitations ended up being for nothing, because true Riordan style, The Lost Hero was compelling and totally a page turner!
It was nice to meet some of the characters from previous series at the Camp Half-Blood, as well as the gods. I loved most of the new characters too, especially Jason and Leo. Leo's hilarious and adorable and just so precious. Jason's the traditional hero type but he was also interesting and really likable. Piper was the only one I didn't really warm up for, mostly because she was a little bit whiny.
I really liked the change to third person (compared to the first person in Percy Jackson series) and the multiple point of views (Jason, Leo and Piper). Although, with the multiple pov's there was sometimes moments when I preferred one to other, and it all comes down to characters preferences. Anyway, The Lost Hero was a page turner and full of adventure. It was a really good series opener because it left so many questions, and the ending, if that's not a cliffhanger then nothing is. Definitely made me want to pick up the rest of the series right away!
I highly recommend for the fans of Percy Jackson, and I definitely recommend to read that series first because this one does include spoilers.
4 of 5 stars
No comments:
Post a Comment