13 June 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Favourite Dads In Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week participating bloggers can create lists of topic given by the host, and share them with others!

This was quite difficult topic because when I started really thinking about it, most of the fathers in YA and LGBT romance (which I mostly read) are either absent or pretty much dead beat. Even some of the ones I chose can be questionable and I feel like many won't agree with me, but these are fathers who I liked and felt like they had redeemable features even if they weren't perfect.

I just wish that the tide will change and there would be more awesome dads in YA and LGBT themed books! Some great dad appreciation would be fantastic overall. Anyway, here's my picks:

Marcus from Half Bad by Sally Green
Let's start with a little bit controversial one. Marcus is the main character Nathan's dad and he's Black Witch - more than that, he's the most notorious Black Witch because he has killed so many, just to gain their powers. Marcus is ruthless and he doesn't show mercy, except when it comes to his son. True, he's mostly absent from Nathan's life but he's there when Nathan really needs him. Marcus loves his son, and I just felt like he wasn't bad father for Nathan even if he wasn't most conventional of dads. 

Poseidon from Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
Again we go with an absent father, but then again all of the godly parents in this series are more absent than not, mostly because it's part of the rules not to favour their children (even if they totally do it). I just always liked Poseidon, he was mostly chill dad and not a bad father for Percy. I mean, Poseidon listened Percy and cared for him. He totally is the cool dad type.

Hades from Heroes of Olympus by Rick Riordan
Of all the godly parents from Riordan's various series, I feel like Hades actually have been more present in his children's life than most - well, mostly in Nico's life. In a sense he's an absent father, yes, but Nico actually spend time plenty of time with him. Overall the small glimpses of Hades and his interactions with his children always showed me that he cared for them: he tried to protect them and he helped Nico when he could, and he was proud of his son.

Mr Bennett from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Mr Bennett was quite awesome dad: he sided with Elizabeth when it came to marriage with Mr Collins, and overall I just loved his sarcasm and how he loved his daughters.

Jack Spier from Simon Vs Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
Jack's the main character Simon's father, and he's just so cool, accepting, funny and overall just really awesome dad!

James Potter from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
I know he never really got a chance to be father for Harry because James died so soon and we didn't get to really see what kind of father he would have been (or what kind of father he was during the fifteen months of Harry's life that James was alive). But he died trying to defend his family against a very powerful wizard - and he tried to do so without his wand - that tells me everything I need to know. James wasn't perfect, especially during his school years in Hogwarts, but I still always saw him as a good father.

1 comment:

  1. These are awesome picks! I completely forgot about Poseidon and Hades! They were definitely the most active gods in their children's lives. And agreed, James was a terrific father from what we see in the series. He obviously cared deeply for his family and adored Harry. Everyone has flaws but they can still be good people (as James proved)!

    Awesome list, Henna!

    Ashtyn @ Wonderland’s Reader!

    ReplyDelete