19 June 2017

Review: A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab

A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2)
by V.E. Schwab
Published by Titan Books
Paperback (purchased)
Fantasy

Four months have passed since the shadow stone fell into Kell’s possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Rhy was wounded and the Dane twins fell, and the stone was cast with Holland’s dying body through the rift, and into Black London. 
In many ways, things have almost returned to normal, though Rhy is more sober, and Kell is now plagued by his guilt. Restless, and having given up smuggling, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks like she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games—an extravagant international competition of magic, meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries—a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.
But while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life, and those who were thought to be forever gone have returned. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night reappears in the morning, and so it seems Black London has risen again—meaning that another London must fall.

A Gathering of Shadows continued to shine on those parts that A Darker Shade of Magic did. The world-building was detailed and truly astonishing. Simply brilliant. Schwab certainly knows how to weave together an intriguing and gripping world. The Games really showed a bit more how the magic works and more importantly, how the different empires and people view the magic and how they field it.

I loved that the characters continued to grow and more of their past was revealed, but also how the actions and consequences of what happened in the first book changed them, especially Kell and Rhy. Basically I just loved both of them even more, especially their brotherly bond that's just so amazingly strong. Kell and Rhy just need a lot of happiness in their lives because they deserve it! There were also plenty of new characters, of which Alucard has to be my favourite because he's just so dashing (and I need to know more!). The only downside - character wise - in A Gathering of Shadows was Lila. I really liked her in the first book and even in the beginning of this one but she became more arrogant than anything else and I started to dislike her a bit. I hope she gets back down to earth in the last book.

A Gathering of Shadows was solid sequel and really good book. However, the one problem I had with it was pacing, just like with the first one. It was not as bad as before but there still was small parts that just dragged. When it picked up, it was amazing and the last ninety pages or so were one heck of a ride. I just loved the book, and I'll definitely read the last book of the trilogy next month!

4 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment