by Leigh Bardugo
Published by Indigo
Paperback (purchased)
YA, fantasy
Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist:
Break into the notorious Ice Court
(a military stronghold that has never been breached)
Retrieve a hostage
(who could unleash magical havoc on the world)
Survive long enough to collect his reward
(and spend it)
Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first.
Six of Crows had everything to be a thrilling, brilliant read. Impossible heist and six outcasts; I like heist stories, and outcasts are always after my heart. Bardugo's writing style was on point to make the world feel real and authentic, I like the Grisha world a lot.
Most of the characters I just fell in love. Kaz who's so perfectly cunning and brilliant, Jesper who's hilarious, and Wylan who's so adorable. All three of them stole my heart from the very begining. Matthias took a bit longer to warm up on me, mostly because he was a bit annoying with his preaches. Nina annoyed me a bit too because she was pretentious but she grew on me a bit - not enough to make me love her but enough to enjoy her chapters a bit more. However, I couldn't stand on Inej and how she's portrayed. Inej had a holier than thou attitude because she believed in different gods than the others. There's also multiple scenes where she's down right rude to a person suffering from PDST. Inej ruined most of the book for me, especially since the other characters though she was so great when she was being arrogant, and her faults were never addressed.
Besides Inej the story was so good. Full of fantastic world building, fast paced action, and so much cunning and double crossing that it was absolutely amazing! All I wish that there would have been less Inej (or none at all) and it would have been almost perfection. I hate to take stars out of review because one character, but Inej and the way all her faults were ignored annoyed me so much that I had to put the book down on multiple occasions.
3 of 5 stars.

No comments:
Post a Comment