Pickup Men (Pickup Men, #1)by L.C. Chase
Published by Riptide Publishing
Ebook (free)
Adult, LGBT, western, contemporary, romance
It takes a pissed-off Brahma bull named Shockwave to show rodeo pickup man Marty Fairgrave the cold hard truth about champion bull rider Tripp Colby: Tripp will never leave the safety of his closet or acknowledge Marty in public. Sometimes loving someone just isn’t enough, and after a year of hiding what they are, Marty finally sees the light—and it’s no longer shining on Tripp.
Tripp Colby would do anything for Marty. Well . . . almost. He’s never loved anyone before, and isn’t quite sure how to handle it now. But he knows Marty is his everything, and in order to win him back, Tripp will have to overcome his darkest fears and step into the light.
But no matter Tripp’s intentions, the cost might be too high and the effort too late for these two cowboys to ride off into the sunset.
I don't think that I have read a western/cowboy book before, even though I have seen all the classic movies and some new ones, because my dad really likes them and I used to watch them with him. I like the setting, the rodeos and ranch life, and when you throw a gay cowboys there? Hello Brokeback Mountain, my favourite movie/short story. Enough chit chat.
I fell in love with the story. I loved the characters; Marty who's out and proud, sincere, warm and so damn nice person; Tripp who's in the closet but so adorable with his inner, heart-breaking conflicts; Bridge who's protective and such a good friend; same with Kent; and the paramedic Eric who's funny and nice. I just loved them and the setting, which was rodeo circles in California. I loved how they all had different jobs, Marty and Bridge being pickup men, and Tripp being a bullrider. And then, of course, the main relationship.
I liked how Marty and Tripp is an established couple, although their relationship was mostly secret one because Tripp is scared of coming out, and how he has to decide if what he wants as Marty has gotten enough of secrets and leaves Tripp. All the feels, and all the heartbreak, but there was plenty of funny, heart-warming moments with friends
The story was intriguing, the setting was a spot on and felt so authentic, and the characters were so lovable (except Scott, because he's a bastard). I devoured the book, and it left me needing more of this world and these characters. Also, because of this, I have a newly found obsession with M/M cowboy stories. I need more cowboys in my life.
I highly recommend this to anyone interested in western/contemporary/romance. It can't get more lovable, adorable, and good than this.
5 of 5 stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment