Trust the Focus (In Focus, #1)by Megan Erickson
Published by Intermix
Ebook (purchased)
NA, LGBT, contemporary, romance
With his college graduation gown expertly pitched into the trash, Justin Akron is ready for the road trip he planned with his best friend Landry— and ready for one last summer of escape from his mother’s controlling grip. Climbing into the Winnebago his father left him, they set out across America in search of the sites his father had captured through the lens of his Nikon.
As an aspiring photographer, Justin can think of no better way to honor his father’s memory than to scatter his ashes at the sites he held sacred. And there’s no one Justin would rather share the experience with more than Landry.
But Justin knows he can’t escape forever. Eventually he’ll have to return home and join his mother’s Senate campaign. Nor can he escape the truth of who he is, and the fact that he’s in love with his out-and-proud travel companion.
Admitting what he wants could hurt his mother’s conservative political career. But with every click of his shutter and every sprinkle of ash, Justin can’t resist Landry’s pull. And when the truth comes into focus, neither is prepared for the secrets the other is hiding.
Trust the Focus is a story about twenty-two year old Justin who just graduated from college with a degree he has no interested in - but one his mother pushed him to take in order to work for his mother's political campaign after graduation. The story follows Justin through a summer and a road trip across a country as Justin says goodbye to his father, and finally takes steps to become honest: to his best friend, Landry, who he loves but more importantly, Justin takes steps to be true to himself.
Basically, Trust the Focus is a coming of age -like story but Justin's just done with the college and not almost done/done with high school. I think it's important to have this kind of stories where characters find themselves or what they want to be after college instead of the usual high school or college age. Not everyone learn to be true to themselves at young age. For some it takes more time, just like it did for Justin. I think that's why Justin was so easy to identify with and I really understood what he was going through. Justin was a wonderful main characters because of that, with all of his struggles and because he was far from perfect: he did mistakes and he learnt from them. Landry, too, was a wonderful character but for a different reason. He was so different from Justin because he already was true to himself and even though he had some obstacles to overcome, he was quite confident and he was there for Justin. Also, they were so cute together, I ship them so hard!
Trust the Focus had it all: good and solid plot, important messages and themes, characters easy to identify with and who were generally amazing, a romance that was really good and not forced at all, and really good writing style. Plus I loved the blog posts that were included! It broke the usual narrator style, gave a little more insight and honestly, were so hilarious when Landry wrote them. I just fell for this one so badly that I need more. I need more Justin and Landry.
I highly recommend this one to everyone. It's just so good.
Basically, Trust the Focus is a coming of age -like story but Justin's just done with the college and not almost done/done with high school. I think it's important to have this kind of stories where characters find themselves or what they want to be after college instead of the usual high school or college age. Not everyone learn to be true to themselves at young age. For some it takes more time, just like it did for Justin. I think that's why Justin was so easy to identify with and I really understood what he was going through. Justin was a wonderful main characters because of that, with all of his struggles and because he was far from perfect: he did mistakes and he learnt from them. Landry, too, was a wonderful character but for a different reason. He was so different from Justin because he already was true to himself and even though he had some obstacles to overcome, he was quite confident and he was there for Justin. Also, they were so cute together, I ship them so hard!
Trust the Focus had it all: good and solid plot, important messages and themes, characters easy to identify with and who were generally amazing, a romance that was really good and not forced at all, and really good writing style. Plus I loved the blog posts that were included! It broke the usual narrator style, gave a little more insight and honestly, were so hilarious when Landry wrote them. I just fell for this one so badly that I need more. I need more Justin and Landry.
I highly recommend this one to everyone. It's just so good.
5 of 5 stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment