by John Green
Published by Penguin
Paperback (borrowed from friend)
YA, contemporary, romance
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.
Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning author John Green's most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.
I had high expectations, and while the story was well written, characters had great character development and the plot went along nicely, it wasn't mind-blowing or something that made me emotional at all. Partly because I couldn't truly identify with Hazel as I've been healthy for all my life, so Hazel's struggles didn't feel as my own. Partly because I wasn't swept away by Augustus. For me he seemed a little bit hypocrate, stalkerish and odd in a way I couldn't quite understand, which caused me not to be in some inside jokes the characters had during the story. I grew to respect Augustus but he wasn't love interest that made my heart race or anything like that. From the characters I loved most Isaac. He was adorable, funny and I wanted more of him. Also, Hazel's parents were someone I grew to respect really much. Peter von was someone who might not be pleasant but him I understood. I understood his motives, his reactions and even though he was a little bit rude and cruel with his words, he was someone I found fashinating. John Green managed to write a story with different kinds of characters and even though Hazel and Augustus didn't click with me, there was plenty of other characters I enjoyed a lot and wanted to learn more about them - and there's no doubt that John Green is a talented writer who can tell a story very well.
The Fault In Our Stars was good and I enjoyed it but it didn't blow my mind or make me cry (which I expected because of all that hype). Sadly, I think this one falls in the "overhyped" books category for me. Maybe it was partly because I've read some amazing and mind-blowing cancer stories and I couldn't help but compare The Fault In Our Stars to them. It was good story with great characters but for me, that's all what it was. It has everything that a good story needs but because of the lack of mind-blowing effect I won't give it five stars. I do recommend this but I think so does everyone else.
4 of 5 stars.
The Fault In Our Stars on Goodreads.

I'm glad to see that you liked this one! I enjoyed the movie too, but the book was definitely better. Hazel and Augustus were the absolute best. My favorite John Green book would have to be Looking for Alaska, so if you've not read that one, I definitely suggest you check it out.
ReplyDeleteKrystianna @ Downright Dystopian