Bombby Sarah Mussi
Published by Hodder Children's Books
Ebook (received from publisher via NetGalley)
YA, contemporary, thriller, mystery
When Genesis goes on a blind internet date, she just wants to get over her ex-boyfriend Naz. She just wants someone to like her again. But when Genesis wakes up the morning after the date, she can't remember a thing. She doesn't know where she is, or how she got there. And she can hardly move because she is strapped into some kind of body armour ...
Before she has time to figure it out, she receives an order through an earpiece stuck in her ear. And then a voice sounds in her head: 'You have been chosen for an assignment ... The vest you're wearing is packed with high explosives. And with one mobile call we can detonate it.'
To her horror Genesis has become an agent of mass destruction, a walking weapon in the hands of a terrorist cell.
The countdown to detonation has begun: Genesis must re-examine everyone and everything she loves and make terrifying choices ... in the face of certain death.
Bomb awakened my interest because it had unique concept. A girl strapped in a bomb, a walking bomb who's under the mercy of cult, a terrorist cell? Count me in! What's even better: Bomb delivered everything it promised. It's action packed story with intriguing premise, concept and complex characters. The plot is solid, good, and you can't even guess what comes next as Mussi plays both her characters and her readers.
Firstly I have to praise Mussi's writing style and the execution of the book design. The cover is amazing, it's quite simple while having lots of details and for once the generic girl at the cover actually works. The chapter names are perfection. They're carefully picked up and fit with the story while actually telling another story: it's pure brilliantness, and I couldn't help but be excited about every one of them. Same goes with the one line LIFE IS poems that were all over the story as the main character Genesis made them up. Some were simple, some were poetic, some were odd, but I loved them. It took a little while to get used to seemingly random one line poems written with cap lock, but in the end, I loved them. More importantly, I understood why they were there, and in a way those short poems told a lot about Genesis and her view of world.
There was a lot of characters but a reader will meet only a few of them during the story. Genesis is the main character, a girl strapped in a bomb and the story is about a one day and what happens during it: how Gen reacts the situation, what she thinks and what others do. Gen is a good character with all of her flaws, She's smart but hung up on her ex-boyfriend who become a part of this Brightness cult during their relationship. Naz is huge part of the story even though a reader don't really meet him until the very end, because all we get is what Gen tells about him. It's strange but actually I really enjoyed it - I liked how Naz's character morphed via Gen's flashbacks and stories and how new things came up and how that information changed things. Then there's Dave, Gen's first boyfriend who she broke up with to be with Naz. Dave is Gen's bestfriend's big brother, he's trained soldier, and he has a nature to save people. He's gentle, intelligent and he loves Gen even though she broke his heart. I actually fell in love with Dave during the story, because of his character and how strong he was and how he could face all these obstacles and still maintain the focus on what's important. He was definitely my favourite!
Bomb is fast paced, gripping and edgy story, and it kept me on my toes until the very end, which was surprising and shocking. I definitely needed more! However, there was a few times when it became a little slow paced and some chapters were boring. Nothing major and it really kicked in after those slower chapters. I really liked the story and it's characters, but I especially loved the design and those brilliant chapter names. For me, Bomb is almost a five star story. However, I did figure out the big plot twist really early on so it took some mystery from the story and that with the slower chapters requires me to give Bomb a four stars. I still do highly recommend Bomb to everyone who finds the synopsis intriguing.
4 of 5 stars.
Firstly I have to praise Mussi's writing style and the execution of the book design. The cover is amazing, it's quite simple while having lots of details and for once the generic girl at the cover actually works. The chapter names are perfection. They're carefully picked up and fit with the story while actually telling another story: it's pure brilliantness, and I couldn't help but be excited about every one of them. Same goes with the one line LIFE IS poems that were all over the story as the main character Genesis made them up. Some were simple, some were poetic, some were odd, but I loved them. It took a little while to get used to seemingly random one line poems written with cap lock, but in the end, I loved them. More importantly, I understood why they were there, and in a way those short poems told a lot about Genesis and her view of world.
There was a lot of characters but a reader will meet only a few of them during the story. Genesis is the main character, a girl strapped in a bomb and the story is about a one day and what happens during it: how Gen reacts the situation, what she thinks and what others do. Gen is a good character with all of her flaws, She's smart but hung up on her ex-boyfriend who become a part of this Brightness cult during their relationship. Naz is huge part of the story even though a reader don't really meet him until the very end, because all we get is what Gen tells about him. It's strange but actually I really enjoyed it - I liked how Naz's character morphed via Gen's flashbacks and stories and how new things came up and how that information changed things. Then there's Dave, Gen's first boyfriend who she broke up with to be with Naz. Dave is Gen's bestfriend's big brother, he's trained soldier, and he has a nature to save people. He's gentle, intelligent and he loves Gen even though she broke his heart. I actually fell in love with Dave during the story, because of his character and how strong he was and how he could face all these obstacles and still maintain the focus on what's important. He was definitely my favourite!
Bomb is fast paced, gripping and edgy story, and it kept me on my toes until the very end, which was surprising and shocking. I definitely needed more! However, there was a few times when it became a little slow paced and some chapters were boring. Nothing major and it really kicked in after those slower chapters. I really liked the story and it's characters, but I especially loved the design and those brilliant chapter names. For me, Bomb is almost a five star story. However, I did figure out the big plot twist really early on so it took some mystery from the story and that with the slower chapters requires me to give Bomb a four stars. I still do highly recommend Bomb to everyone who finds the synopsis intriguing.
4 of 5 stars.
Add on Goodreads.
Thank you, Hodder Children's Books, for giving me a chance to read and review Bomb!
(A copy of this ebook was provided in return for an honest review.)
No comments:
Post a Comment