22 July 2015

Review: The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman

The Sleeper and the Spindle
by Neil Gaiman
Illustrated by Chris Riddell
Published by Bloomsbury
Hardback (borrowed from library)
Fantasy, graphic novel, retelling

A thrillingly reimagined fairy tale from the truly magical combination of author Neil Gaiman and illustrator Chris Riddell – weaving together a sort-of Snow White and an almost Sleeping Beauty with a thread of dark magic, which will hold readers spellbound from start to finish.

On the eve of her wedding, a young queen sets out to rescue a princess from an enchantment. She casts aside her fine wedding clothes, takes her chain mail and her sword and follows her brave dwarf retainers into the tunnels under the mountain towards the sleeping kingdom. This queen will decide her own future – and the princess who needs rescuing is not quite what she seems. Twisting together the familiar and the new, this perfectly delicious, captivating and darkly funny tale shows its creators at the peak of their talents. 
Lavishly produced, packed with glorious Chris Riddell illustrations enhanced with metallic ink, this is a spectacular and magical gift.

Picking up The Sleeper and the Spindle at the library was a random decision. It looked like a fast read and I have been meaning to read a graphic novel for a time - and it's a retelling so I decided to dive into it right away.

I'm truly happy I picked this one up. The illustrations are absolutely beautiful in a kind of gory way, and I loved how the story entwined two different fairy tales and twisted and molded until it was a unique retelling story. Gaiman is also a master of writing old fairy tale style that brings in mind Grimm Brothers style and all those childhood tales I read when I was younger. The characters were also interesting; the queen, the three dwarfs, the sleeper and the old lady. There were all of the usual character arcs but with twists so it wasn't predictable at all. The story came into the end way too soon, I'd loved to read more.

The Sleeper and the Spindle is truly an enchanting tale with wonderful illustrations. I wish Gaiman and Riddell will work together in the future as I'd love to read more retellings from them. I highly recommend this to everyone in a need of quick and good read!

4 of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment