Shy Kinda Loveby Deanna Eshler
Self-published
Paperback (received a copy from author, thank you!)
NA, contemporary, romance
When I was eleven, my best friend died in a car accident. When I was twelve, my mom walked out, leaving only a note to say goodbye. When I was eighteen, I was forced into witness protection.
My new name is Shyanne Adams. To protect myself, and painless existence, I do not live. I do not laugh. I do not love. For the last three years, the only meaningful thing I’ve done is care for the horse I rescued.
But now, at the age of twenty-one, the one person from both my past and present is pushing me to start living. Before I know it, I’m moving in with new friends who make me laugh. And next door is Kade Cross, the guy who wants me to love.
Kade knows that I will complicate his life, but he welcomes the challenge. He sees that I’m broken, but he doesn’t try to fix me. When he knows I’m trying to push him away, he braces for the impact.
What Kade doesn’t know is that I could have to relocate at any time. So I have to decide: is experiencing love for a short time worth the pain of losing it?
Shy Kinda Love is an emotional story that lacks in no center. Strong voiced and intriguing characters kept me turning page after page as did Shyanne's story with all the plot twists and mysteries it had. More than that, I fell in love how it is a story about healing and learning to live again and not just a pointless romance. The romance aspect it there and it is a huge part of the story but there's so many other aspects and things that doesn't encircle around the romance. Shyanne's past and the horrors it has are dealt with and it truly is a story about healing and learning to take risks - to acknowledge that sometimes you have to take a risk for happiness even though it can cause pain if you lose it. I devoured the book simply because I couldn't stop turning the pages as I love almost everything it had in it.
Sadly, there is one thing I didn't like in the story: I couldn't stand Keegan. She was an okay friend for Shyanne but that's not what bothered me; what bothered and irritated me was how Keegan treated guys. She was rude to them and judgemental towards them. She judged Luke and always though worst of him and she treated Adrian badly even though she really had no reason - especially since everyone seemed to think they were perfect together. However, otherwise I pretty much fell in love with Eshler's characters; Isaac was adorable and I wish all the best for him, Gemma was really nice person, and I really need a guy like Kade as he was smart, witty and lovable, and I need more of Ryder, pretty please? Ryder definitely should get a book of his own as a lot about his life was left as a mystery and I'd love to learn more about him. For a main character, Shyanne was good choice and she had a strong voice. She was strong and independent and I loved how she had flaws and those was pointed out by her and others. She wasn't perfect girl like so many other New Adult genre heroines and it so refreshing!
I highly recommend Shy Kinda Love if New Adult contemporary romance is your thing - and maybe even if it's not since Shy Kinda Love has so many things mainstream NA stories don't have: realistic characters and it had other aspects than the pointless romance. Now, if there'd be a story about Ryder, I'd be really pleased. Let's hope that will happen one day!
I highly recommend Shy Kinda Love if New Adult contemporary romance is your thing - and maybe even if it's not since Shy Kinda Love has so many things mainstream NA stories don't have: realistic characters and it had other aspects than the pointless romance. Now, if there'd be a story about Ryder, I'd be really pleased. Let's hope that will happen one day!
4 of 5 stars.
Add on Goodreads.
(A copy of this book was provided in return for an honest review.)
Thank you, Deanne Eshler, for giving me a chance to read and review Shy Kinda Love!
(A copy of this book was provided in return for an honest review.)
No comments:
Post a Comment