29 May 2015

Review: The Boy Who Sneaks In My Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley

The Boy Who Sneaks In My Bedroom Window
by Kirsty Moseley
Self-published
Paperback (purchased)
YA/NA, contemporary, romance

Amber Walker and her older brother, Jake, have an abusive father. One night her brother's best friend, Liam, sees her crying and climbs through her bedroom window to comfort her. That one action sparks a love/hate relationship that spans over the next eight years. Liam is now a confident, flirty player who has never had a girlfriend before. Amber is still emotionally scarred from the abuse she suffered at the hands of her father. Together they make an unlikely pair. Their relationship has always been a rocky one, but what happens when Amber starts to view her brother's best friend a little differently? And how will her brother, who has always been a little overprotective, react when he finds out that the pair are growing closer?




I had high expectations for The Boy Who Sneaks In My Bedroom Window as the summary intrigued me and I was expecting lots of emotional struggle and dealing with difficult subjects. Instead the story was about a sixteen-year-old girl who had terrible things to happen to her for years but the only effect it had was that she didn't like to be touched - and that didn't include Liam, her brother's best friend. The story also involved a lot around sex, or actually people talking about sex, girls hanging around the hottest guys and throwing themselves to them, and even more slut shaming. Words like 'slut', 'whore' and 'man-whore' were really popular and it was quite unnerving. I mean, Amber called so many people sluts and she accused Liam being a man-whore almost every turn but then she acted just like those "sluts" she shamed earlier but of course it was acceptable when she wore mini skirts and flirted a lot. Most of the time I didn't feel comfortable and I started to dislike Amber because how she treated other people even though everyone kept saying that she's a nice person.

What I found most unnerving, was how unrealistic the whole story seemed for a contemporary romance. I may not be from America but I don't think every sixteen to eighteen-year-old thinks only about sex and participates a competition where girls try to seduce a boy who has a girlfriend. The story also had a dramatic turn for every moment. It seemed like one obstacle was won, then there was at least one new, and some of those dramatic turns felt really unnecessary for the plot of the story.

However, I liked some characters and mostly kept reading to see what happens to them. Liam was intriguing and a book boyfriend material, and I really liked him. There was some really interesting supporting characters who didn't get enough appreciation and some of them showed up quite late on the story, and I'd liked to learn more about them. Amber's brother Jake was quite likable even though he was too prone to violence, although in the light of his childhood it was understantable. I'd just wish Jake's problems would have been processed more.

When the story focused on something else than sex or calling people sluts and man-whores, it was good. I enjoyed those bits a lot but sadly, the dramatic turns and hugely focus on sex broke that good feeling and flow, and there were bits when I struggled to continue reading. If you're up to dramatic turns and lots of talking about sex, maybe then this is for you.
 
2 of 5 stars.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment