5 January 2015

Review: Hell on Wheels by Z.A. Maxfield

Hell on Wheels (Bluewater Bay, #3)
by Z.A. Maxfield
Published by Riptide Publishing
Ebook (received from publisher via NetGalley)
Adult, LGBT, contemporary, romance


Nash is the reliable one in the Holly family, the guy everyone counts on to keep things going. His genius twin brother is off at university, so Nash runs the family’s auto repair business and cares for his partially-paralyzed little sister while his crackpot father invents. His life seems mapped out for the foreseeable future, however much that might chafe.

So when Wolf’s Landing actor Spencer Kepler-Constantine lands in his life, Nash is ready for a diversion. Spencer is in the middle of a very painful, very public divorce and isn’t ready for a relationship—not that Nash wants one. But they both need a friend, especially one with benefits.

As they grow closer, Nash starts to see his family in a whole new light. Do they really need him so badly? Or does he simply need to be needed? Then Spencer’s ex reappears with a grand romantic gesture, and Nash has to figure out what he wants—and how to get it—before Spencer’s gone for good.


Hell on Wheels was everything I expected to read: delightful, fun and full of romance. It was well written and there was different kinds of characters, and the setting was so good - I could imagine myself in Bluewater Bay alongside the various characters in the story.

I fell in love with the characters. Nash was the imagine of bad boy on the outside: bike, tattoos, worked with cars and mischavious smile. However, he was everything but. He took care of his family, the business and he was kind, gentle and unselfish. Spencer was an actor, kind of big star, but he was down to Earth and kind as well. The supporting characters had intriguing personalities as well - Nash's father and little sister especially, and Spencer's personal assistent Bash and bodyguard Tick, were quite characteries and made the story colourful. Hell on Wheels had an antagonist, so to speak, in form of Spencer's ex-husband Peter. However, Peter wasn't bad per say even though he left Spencer. I loved how Maxfield didn't make Peter ultimate bad ex-husband but more real - Peter and Spencer just had different expectations from their marriage.

Hell on Wheels was fast paced without being rushed and jumping from place to place. It was good entirety with plot, intriguing characters and romance. Nash and Spencer had spark but their relationship wasn't only aspect in the story which was good as both of them grew as characters, and Nash defined his place in his family and Spencer dealt with his divorse. I don't want to spoil anyone so I won't discuss profoundly about Nash's growth as a character but I was delighted to read how he dealt with the changes within his family. Only thing I was a little disappointed was the ending which came a little too soon and was a little too short. It was good ending for Nash and Spencer's journey but I felt unsatisfied as the last chapter was little too short for my taste. I would have loved to read more, so maybe that's the main reason why I felt like that about the ending.

I devoured Hell on Wheels within one day and lived every moment with Nash and Spencer. Maxfield told such wonderful story and her writing style was easy to immerse oneself in, so flowing. I highly recommend this one to everyone who enjoys LGBT contemporary romance!

4 of 5 stars.
 
Hell on Wheels on Goodreads.

Thank you, Riptide Publishing, for giving me a chance to read and review Hell on Wheels!

(A copy of this ebook was provided in return for an honest review.)

No comments:

Post a Comment