22 January 2015

Reader Problems Tag

I snatched this from Charnell @ Review from Bookworm. Originally the tag was created by About To Read.

1. You have 20,000 books on your TBR. How in the world do you decide what to read next?
Well, lucky me, I don't have 20,000 books on my TBR. However, I do have enough to make it hard to decide what to read next (and let me tell you, I'm complex person when it comes to that!) I'm a mood reader so I will probably go with my mood: I stand by my shelves and pick up what I feel like. Or then I have this new book I'm dying to read so I pick it. However, review copies makes this harder. If it's due, I read it (this apply to RC's I got via NetGalley). It's hard only when a) I don't feel like reading the review copy I have at that moment or b) it's been there for a while and I need to read it before it expires. And I have nasty habit of pushing myself to read the RC even though I'd want to read some other book. I should be more confident or something but I just don't want to disappoint authors and publisher who I promised to review the book (I'm perfectly aware that it's not my job to try and please them [especially since I'm not getting paid] but I'm twisted like that).
I really should learn how to not ramble.
2. You're halfway through a book and you're just not loving it. Do you quit or are you committed?
I'll probably force myself to read it. I know, it's not making anyone happy (especially myself) doing that but what can I do? Usually I don't have any problems with books I've purchased since I'm quite obsessive when I'm researching everything about the book, because I don't want to buy a book I wouldn't enjoy. But review copies, oh boy. I don't get them that lot and when I do, I want to read and review them. But it's hard if I'm not enjoying it. I don't want to quit but I also hate forcing myself to read it (mostly because I probably won't love it if I'm forced to read it, I'll just dislike it more). Luckily that hasn't happened that often, maybe two RC's I've had seriously to consider whether to finish it or not.
3. The end of the year is coming and you're so close, but so far away on your Goodreads reading challenge. Do you try to catch up and how?

Last year I finished somewhere on October/November so I didn't have that problem. Even now I'm two books ahead the schedule. So yeah. Hypothetical situation, well, then I'd probably just try to read as much as I can (or have time, because being a full time student with shit load to do, I don't have that much time to read. Or sleep).
4. The covers of a series you love do not match. How do you cope?
I probably don't. I try to avoid that by being careful what covers I buy and it's easy to choose when ordering online. Sometimes they change covers and that sucks but luckily I've avoided that mostly. I think only covers I own and don't match is Jennifer L. Armentrout's Lux series - four first books match but they change the fifth's cover (and I'm so pissed off because it's quite ugly and glitters and I don't want to my covers to glitter and yeah, I'm not forgiving that).
5. Everyone and their mothers love a book you really don't like. Who do you bond with over their shared feelings?
Couple of my friends have quite similar taste than I have so I bond with them. Goodreads and twitter are good places, too.
6. You're reading a book and you are about to start crying in public. How do you deal?
I don't read in public. Never. I'm not comfortable reading in public and most of the time, I don't even need to. I mean, only places in public I could read is long bus and train drives to home from school, but I get travel sickness so reading is not an option. So yeah. I also dread to cry in public so in hypotherical situation I'd probably try to cover it and not to read more until I'd get home.
7. A sequel of a book you love just came out, but you've forgotten a lot from the prior novel. Will you re-read the book? Skip the sequel? Try to find a synopsis on Goodreads? Cry in frustration?!?
Happens too often to me. I won't re-read the book so I either try my luck and just start reading the sequel (often I remember about the prior novel as I read the sequel) or then I head over to Wikipedia, Goodreads etc. and try to find summary about what happened earlier.
8. You do not want anyone. ANYONE. borrowing your books. How do you politely tell people no when they ask?
Well, I do tend to borrow my books. But only for a few, trusted friends who knows how obsessed I'm with my books (and they're aware that if the book comes back damaged, they must buy new for me). However, my friends are careful and as I put contact paper on my paperbacks (same kind libraries uses, it's perfect for paperbacks because then the spine won't break no matter what and the cover will always look good!) so my books are safe. Sometimes I do get asked to lend a book for a person a) I don't know that well b) know they treat books badly c) I don't generally trust with my stuff, I just say I don't borrow my books. Sometimes I get stinky-eye or something but I'm pretty good ignoring it. My stuff, my rules and if someone isn't happy about it, then it's their problem.
(I do know I sound like an asshole but it's my books and I'm major asshole when it comes to my book collection.)
9. Reading ADD. You've picked up and put down 5 books in the last month. How do you get over your reading slump?
I try to find some book I'm dying to read and try to get over my reading slump that way. Old, trusted book is another way but luckily I haven't had that bad reading slumps where I couldn't find the right book to get over it.
10. There are so many new books coming out that you're dying to read! How many do you actually buy?
It depends how much money I have to spend at the time. However, I probably wouldn't buy all of them right away (especially if they're only available on hardbacks - then I'll just wait for the paperback come out and then it's cheaper and I can get two to three books for the price of one hardback).
11. After you've bought the new books you can't wait to get to, how long do they sit on your shelf before you get to them?
Honestly, it depends so many things and variates. There's books I was dying to get over a year ago and I haven't still read them. Then there's books like my newest order that came last week and I've read two out of three already. So it's days, weeks or months, depending on my mood, how much time I have to read (school dominates a lot of my time) and how many review copies I have that I need to read.
If you want to do this, go ahead and feel free to consider yourself tagged by me. I'll tag following people (if you don't feel like doing this, just don't):

No comments:

Post a Comment