8 October 2018

ARC Review: Love at First Hate by J.L. Merrow

Love at First Hate (Porthkennack, #11)
by J.L. Merrow
Published by Riptide Publishing
eARC
LGBT, contemporary, romance

First impressions can doom second chances.
Bran Roscarrock has been living in the closet all his life. As heir to an expansive family legacy in the town of Porthkennack, old-fashioned ideals of respectability and duty were drummed into him since childhood, and he's never dared to live - or love - openly.
Sam Ferreira, and old friend of Bran's brother, Jory, is a disgraced academic desperate to leave his dead-end job. When Jory asks him to take over as curator of a planned exhibition on Edward of Woodstock, the fourteenth-century Black Prince, Sam leaps at the chance to do what he loves and make a fresh start.
But Bran's funding the exhibition, and though sparks fly between the two men, they're not all happy ones. Bran idolises Prince Edwards as a hero, while Sam's determined to present a balanced picture. With neither of them prepared to give ground, a hundred years of war seems all too possible. And if Bran finds out about Sam's past, his future may not be bright, and their budding romance may be lost to history.

I had mixed feelings about Love at First Hate ever since I read the synopsis for the first time: Bran Roscarrock has been secondary character in Merrow's previous installments in this series, and neither book has painted Bran in a good light. Bran's been described as stuck up traditionalist, who didn't accept his nephew, who came looking for his mother, and judged his brother's choices every chance he got. He wasn't a character I particularly liked. However, I was intrigued by the synopsis and I have enjoyed every book by Merrow I've read, so I decided to give this one a chance. And I'm extremely glad that I did so.

Love at First Hate turns the tables and challenges reader to change mind about Bran; the story has flashbacks, which will explain a lot of Bran's actions and feelings, and it goes in depth with Bran's character and the inner struggle he goes through. In fact, I felt for Bran and I began to like him, even more than any other characters in this series. Bran's not perfect and in a sense he's duty bound to the idea of what is expected from him as a heir to large estate. But he's long way from being heartless; he loves his nephew, Gawen, and has tried from his best to be there for Gawen when Gawen's father Jory lived in Edinburgh for years. Bran wants to do better and be better, which makes him likable character as he doesn't deny his past wrongdoings. Bran's definitely the best part of the story and his redemption arc is beautiful thing to read about. Other characters, mainly the other main character Sam Ferreira, are interesting but just didn't stood a chance with Bran's presence. I did enjoy Sam's chapters, especially to see him interact with Jory and Mal, and to follow him to built his life after a scandal that caused him to loose his academic career.

Easiest way to summarize the significance of proper and deep character and story development that Love at First Hate has, is that the main character's don't meet each other until around third way in the story. And when Sam and Bran meet, sparks fly and chemistry is palpable - their arguments make their blood boil, but they still respect each other even if they don't agree with other's arguments. It's wonderful to read about, especially to see the change and how they manage to win each other over.

I do recommend Love at First Hate. I dare to say it's best of Merrow's Porthkennack stories.

4 of 5 stars

Add on Goodreads

Thank you, Riptide Publishing, for giving me a chance to read and review Love at First Hate!

(A copy of this ebook was provided in return for an honest review.)

1 comment:

  1. Ooooohh! This sounds like something I'd enjoy. Adding it to Goodreads right away!

    ReplyDelete