26 June 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Series I Don't Plan To Finish

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. Each week participating bloggers can create lists of topic given by the host, and share them with others!

I have seven series that I've given up and three where I haven't decided on yet (although it's most likely that I won't finish them). Overall theme for the reason why I won't continue is that I read them years ago, lost interest, and just found better suited series for me. All of these are YA series.

Here's the series I've decided to DNF;

Across the Universe by Beth Revis
I read first two novels over six years ago and between the wait for the last novel I just lost interest, especially since I heard it was more heavily sci-fi with new planets and alien races, which isn't really my forte.

Matched by Ally Condie
It's the same case than with Across the Universe, read the first two books years ago and just lost interest. Also, the love triangle wasn't for me.

Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Hush Hush was one of the first YA novels in 2012 when I started reading YA again, and I liked it. However, the sequels had problems and I lost interest before the last book was published, so I never read it.

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Exactly the same than the previous ones, I read first two and never got around finishing it. Trish irked me in Insurgent and I got spoiled for Allegiant, so I don't feel need to actually read it.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver
I read Delirium and while I really liked the concept of removing love, I was underwhelmed of the execution of the story. And again, I heard there was love triangle brewing and it's a pet peeve for me.

Lux by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Simple case of loosing interest between a long publication between third and fourth book. The trope and characters also annoyed me more than entertained.

Immortal City by Scott Speer
I really enjoyed first book, but the sequel Natural Born Angel had love triangle and whole book build up for a huge moment, which ended up as cliffhanger at the end. I got so angry for going through build up and love triangle, and not having any sort of conclusion that I decided to DNF the series.

And series which I'm on the fence;

Fallen by Lauren Kate
I only need to read the last book Rapture, but I never seem to get around reading it even though I'm interested knowing what happens. Still, it's been years since I read third book and I don't remember properly what happened.

Breathe by Sarah Crossan
A dystopian duology where I read the first one, but had to wait for the sequel and now it's been so many years that I can't decide if it's worth re-reading Breathe and then finishing the duology.

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
This is the most recent one and while I enjoyed Six of Crows, I had some serious problems with it. Mostly Inej and her holier-than-thou and preaching attitude annoyed me beyond anything, and the fact that she was never called out of her behaviour even when it was abusive. I just don't know if it's worth reading the sequel if Inej will make my blood-pressure rise.

2 comments:

  1. I read the first Divergent novel just to see what all the hype was about, and while it was OK, I just didn't care enough about the characters or the world to bother continuing the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep wondering if I should put the Fallen series to rest. I remember enjoying book 1, but I never picked up the rest. The Across the Universe series actually gets better.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete