2 June 2018

3 Penguin Little Black Classics Mini-Reviews

Lord Arthur Savile's Crime
by Oscar Wilde
Published by Penguin
On Goodreads

My review:
Oscar Wilde knows how to use words and how to create hilariously clever characters who do questionable things with questionable motives, but that's exactly what I love on Wilde's stories. Lord Arthur Savile's Crime did not disappoint me because this was clever, funny in a dark humour kind of way, and definitely fast paced short story what a murderous prophecy can make people do. I recommend this to fans of Wilde's work - or those who want to see what's Oscar Wilde's stories are like.

4 of 5 stars


Only Dull People Are Brilliant at Breakfast
by Oscar Wilde
Published by Penguin

My review:
This Little Black Classic is a short collection of Oscar Wilde's witticism, and I love his wittiness and to read quotes by Wilde, so I was fairly excited to read this one. However, while it is Wilde in all his genious brilliantness, the collection itself feels a little bit a mix match which is badly put together. The themes jump around instead of being collected under subtitles such as art, love, stupidity, etc. So now it's a little bit that in there and then another topic and then back to the topic before. I like order and systematic things, and this was everything but. That's why I'm taking the two stars out - not because of Wilde but because of how badly this one has been put together.

"To love oneself is the beginning of a life-long romance."
 

3 of 5 stars


How To Use Your Enemies
by Baltasar Gracián
Published by Penguin
On Goodreads

My review:
I was drawn to How To Use Your Enemies because it was marketed as similar to Machiavelli's The Prince, which I enjoyed reading. It's supposed to be a Spanish priest's shrewd maxims on using guile and pragmatism to succeed and to do so by using one's enemies. Sadly, it was more along the lines of 'how to use primary your friends, subjects, and then enemies' than anything else. It also felt incoherent and fragmented, which made me struggle to continue. Gracián's writing is clever and detailed, but overall this was just a mess. I'd recommend Machiavelli's The Prince over this, if you want to read about pragmatic philosophy on how to rule and succeed in it.

"Better mad with the crowd than sane all alone."

2 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment