24 May 2018

Review: The Traitor by Allen Zadoff

The Traitor (The Unknown Assassin, #3)
by Allen Zadoff
Published by Orchad Books
YA, thriller, action

In the third and final installment in the Unknown Assassin trilogy, Boy Nobody is on the run from The Program and uncovers a secret about his past that forces him to decide where his loyalties lie.
The Program has sent Boy Nobody on countless missions, instructed to kill whichever target he was given. But now, after going rogue, he is on his own mission to rescue his friend Howard who was captured by The Program. Boy Nobody manages to free Howard as well as Tanya, a mysterious girl who was being held with him. Howard and Tanya help Boy Nobody collect information about his father, eventually revealing a dangerous secret that teaches Boy Nobody a valuable lesson - he can't trust anyone.


I went in expecting the unexpected and got ready for a roller coaster of action and thriller, and based on the blurb, very much expecting Zach going rogue and finally question The Program like never before. The Traitor delivered on most of my expectations, yet it wasn't as good as the first two installments. I was glad that Howard got bigger role because he's just adorable and his hacking skills are mad, and finally there was more about Zach's father and the mystery behind the Program.

The Traitor's biggest problem for me was repetitiveness. I could see the twists coming, I knew who not to trust just based on what happened in the first two books. I knew the mysterious girl was not innocent and I knew Zach would fall for it, because it seemed that sassy tough girls are his weakness. The first book in the trilogy was good, captivating and surprising, but The Traitor failed to surprise me. I was still a bit captivated, mostly waiting to see everything unravel and coming to an end. However, the ending was another problem. It was disappointing ending, very abrupt and didn't offer closure at all. It felt like there was a few chapters missing! Such a shame that ending like that kind of ruins the book and trilogy as it doesn't feel satisfying at all.

I had a hard time to decide on the rating. It wasn't on the par with the first two, which I gave each four stars, and I almost gave it two stars because that's how disappointed I was at the end. In the end, I decided to settle on three stars, because The Traitor was a fast paced and it kept me captivated, even if the element of thrill and surprise wasn't so strong because of the repetitiveness.

3 of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment