LGBT, contemporary, romance, sports
Sebastian Stewart was never Mr. Dependable; he was more the good-time guy who only wanted to swim, party, and ink tattoos. Until he cost his team the Olympic gold four years ago. Bas is determined to do right this time around—by his medley relay team and his rookie mentee.
Jacob Burrows is in over his head. The Olympic experience—from the hazing, to the endless practices, to the unrelenting media—makes the shy nineteen-year-old’s head spin. He’s trying to be everything to everyone while trying not to fall for his gorgeous tattooed teammate who just gets him—gets his need to fix things, his dorky pirate quips, and his bisexuality.
When Jacob falters under the stress, threatening his individual races and the medley relay gold, he needs Bas’s help to escape from drowning. Bas, however, fearing a repeat of his mistakes four years ago, pushes Jacob away, sure he’ll only let Jacob down. But the only path to salvaging gold is for Jacob to finally ask for what he needs—the heart of the man he loves—and for Bas to become the dependable one.
I really enjoyed Relay and yearned for a sequel, however, I'm sad to say that it didn't live up to my expectations. I had a hard time connecting with one of the main character, Bas, because his actions, and the focus of the story was more frustrating relationship drama than the Olympics.
I actually liked Bas in Relay, when he was acting like a good friend and mentor. However, in Medley Bas played hot and cold with Jacob, pulling him closer only to push him away and then avoid poor Jacob without explanations. Bas justified his selfish actions as greater good for the Olympic team, but it only created tension. I couldn't connect with Bas and I didn't understand where his actions came from until the near end of the book - but then it was too late to like him. Jacob was complete opposite, as I liked him from the beginning and that didn't waver. He's sweet and caring and he put others before himself. He simply deserved more than to go through relationship drama on the eve of his debut in Olympics (especially since all the drama affected his performance).
Relay had some deep themes and character growth, but I felt like Medley lacked both. It wasn't so much about redemption, forgiveness and the Olympics than it was about unnecessary relationship drama, which could have been avoided if a heart-to-heart talk would happened sooner than it did. I guess my expectation where so high after Relay that I just felt disappointed because Medley focused on other stuff. I just wish the Olympics wouldn't been on the back burner, because all the swim moments were exciting and captivating.
I did like the conclusion the book offered: did the US Olympic team win the medals they so coveted? I also really enjoyed the peaks of Dane and Alex, especially Dane, because he was a great friend and support to everyone else this time around, and he continued to stood up against his bigoted parents. And Jacob was so sympathetic character! I only wish he'd get better than the emotional rollercoaster that he got.
3 of 5 stars
(A copy of this ebook was provided in return for an honest review.)

No comments:
Post a Comment