Peter Panby J.M. Barrie
Published by Puffin
Classic, fantasy, childrens
One starry night, Peter Pan and Tinker Bell lead the three Darling children over the rooftops of London and away to Neverland - the island where lost boys play, mermaids splash and fairies make mischief. But a villainous-looking gang of pirates lurk in the docks, led by the terrifying Captain James Hook. Magic and excitement are in the air, but if Captain Hook has his way, before long, someone will be walking the plank and swimming with the crocodiles...
Peter Pan is a classic that I've been meaning to read for a long while now. I love the story, especially the few movies that I've seen. Captain Hook is one of my favourite villains and definitely my favourite pirate. And I always loved the idea of a boy who never grew up. Finally, after reading Barrie's original, I can say that I really enjoyed this whimsical story of forgetful boy refusing to grow up and all the dangers and adventures that Neverland has to offer.
What surprised me was how different the story was from the adapted versions. For instance, the trip to Neverland takes a long, long time, instead of just flying for one night. Then the story seems to focus a bit more of quiet moments when Wendy plays mother to the lost boys rather than the adventures they have, which are only mentioned and one described. In those moments it was a bit dull, but it did pick up after those moments. I guess I was just expecting a bit more pirates, action and adventures.
Peter Pan is dark story, there's no doubt in that. Captain Hook and his crew are ruthless and blood-thirsty, and Peter isn't a hero either; he's forgetful, selfish, and very whimsical. However, the story works because of that. It's not meant to be rainbows and unicorns, and I liked it because of it. It's dark and there's plenty of death there, but it's still magical story about Neverland and Peter, who did not grow up even when every other child did.
I'm glad that I finally read Peter Pan. Despite the few dull moments in the story, it's still one of my favourites. Captain Hook certainly kept his place as my favourite pirate.
4 of 5 stars
What surprised me was how different the story was from the adapted versions. For instance, the trip to Neverland takes a long, long time, instead of just flying for one night. Then the story seems to focus a bit more of quiet moments when Wendy plays mother to the lost boys rather than the adventures they have, which are only mentioned and one described. In those moments it was a bit dull, but it did pick up after those moments. I guess I was just expecting a bit more pirates, action and adventures.
Peter Pan is dark story, there's no doubt in that. Captain Hook and his crew are ruthless and blood-thirsty, and Peter isn't a hero either; he's forgetful, selfish, and very whimsical. However, the story works because of that. It's not meant to be rainbows and unicorns, and I liked it because of it. It's dark and there's plenty of death there, but it's still magical story about Neverland and Peter, who did not grow up even when every other child did.
I'm glad that I finally read Peter Pan. Despite the few dull moments in the story, it's still one of my favourites. Captain Hook certainly kept his place as my favourite pirate.
4 of 5 stars
No comments:
Post a Comment