Top Ten Tuesday: Things That Will Make Me Instantly NOT Want To Read A Book
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week participating bloggers can create lists of topic given by the host, and share them with others!
I have plenty of bookish pet peeves but here's a list of those in the stories or plots that makes me to drop the book immediately. Or not even start if the blurb indicates anything about these ten things:
Love Triangle
This is the biggest pet peeve of mine. I hate the juggling between two persons, especially since everyone gets hurt in the end. I'm talking mostly about love triangles like the one in Twilight that I just can't stand. Seriously, who in the real life would stick with girl who can't decide who she loves and wants to be with? It's basically emotional cheating when someone is with someone but at the same time loves someone else who they might want to start a relationship with.
Love triangle can be good if it's done properly but most often it's not so I just avoid it all together.
Instalove
I don't think instalove is real. One can lust someone from the first glance, but love? There has to be some kind of real connection and knowing someone before there can be claims of love, so I just think the instalove trope is laziness of not writing good, proper love story.
Certain Authors
Following either two scenarios: a) I have read other book(s) from the author and did not like them or the writing style, or b) the author have said/done something that doesn't sit well with me - there are a few authors that I just refuse read from because of previous plagiarism or because they are homophobic.
At times, I do give authors a second chance if I didn't like one book from them but if there's a trend that I don't click with their books, then I'm not going to keep trying.
Not Gorgeous Cover
I know, I shouldn't judge a book by its cover but I just usually skip the books that have "the stock image of a girl (possibly in a dress)" without even reading the blurb. I just don't like those covers or what they possibly represent and I just skip them because they're not eye-catching.
Special Snowflakes Trope
This comes up especially in YA, specifically on fantasy and dystopia genres. You know the type, usually the girl who's just so different and has such amazing powers that she masters in a day etc. The "I'm not like other girls" -type. I see that and I'm out.
Teacher/Student Relationship
It's just something that doesn't sit well with me. It's a power dynamic that I don't feel like it could work where the partners would be equal in any ground so yeah. Just no, at least for me.
Religious Agenda
Religion as a topic in a book gets usually preachy very fast, and I can't stand when the author gets preachy - or anyone else on that point. Everyone can have their own beliefs but I don't want to read a book that tries to force it down of my throat. So I avoid all Christian fiction or characters who are priests etc. of all cost.
I do love stories with mythology but I don't put in the same category as newer religions so if it's mythology, great - if it's something else, I rather stay clear.
World Wars
I love history but I'm more into the older times like Ancient World, Medieval Europe and Early Modern Europe, and not so much about twentieth century history, especially the world wars. I have had to study them ever since primary school and I had to read some World War II books for middle school, and I just don't want to. The Book Thief is on my TBR but that's the exception to the rule.
Horror
I'm not kidding when I say that I'll have nightmares for days if not weeks from horror movies and books, so I avoid them at all cost. I'm not bothered by paranormal stuff like vampires and werewolves but the downright horror with haunting and creepy houses and little kids, please, not for me.
"For the Fans of __"
There's few reasons for this one. A) It's usually something like for the fans of Twilight or Divergent, or something I did not like thus I'm not going to read a book recommend for fans of those. B) I like reading different kind of books so even if the book is for the fans of Harry Potter, I might not want to read it because I want something different, not something that has been done a lot. Overall, I just think that these types of tag lines do more harm than good for the books so please publishers, just stop.
Good thought... for special snowflakes. I also agree with bad covers and instalove.
ReplyDelete