26 July 2016

Review: Playing for Keeps by Avery Cockburn

Playing for Keeps (Glasgow Lads, #1)
by Avery Cockburn
Self-published
Ebook (Kindle freebie)
Adult, LGBT, contemporary, romance


Rule One: No Drama!
Fergus Taylor is damaged goods. Reeling from a brutal breakup, he’s determined to captain his LGBT soccer team out of scandal and into a winning season. For that, he needs strict rules and careful plans. He does NOT need a brash, muscle-bound lad messing with his head and setting his body afire.
John Burns has a rule of his own: Don’t get attached. Boyfriends are for guys with nothing to hide. Nobody—not his university mates, not the men he beds—knows his family’s shame. Now his double life is starting to unravel, thanks to a certain Highlander whose storm-riddled eyes turn John inside out, who wears a kilt like he was born in it.
Fergus is the first man John wants to share his secret with—but he’s the last man who could handle it. John knows the truth would shatter Fergus’s still-fragile heart. But how can he live a lie when he’s falling in love?


I'm not a football fan, in fact, I'm not sure if I have ever even watched a whole match. However, I simply couldn't miss out when the story was about Scots and such diverse subject - I had never even heard about LGBT football team! I'm very pleased I didn't pass Playing for Keeps just because it was about football.

Playing for Keeps is fast paced and despite Fergus number one rule, there's bound to be drama when it's about falling in love, coming in terms who you are and how your life is, and forgiving those who have hurt you. The story kept me on the edge of my seat as Fergus and John's relationship deepened and the obstacles seemed to pile up. I loved how John's secret was tied up to the history of Scotland and how it was a legit secret to keep. It was both a pleasure and agony to follow John and Fergus struggle with trust, falling for each other, and trying not to get hurt. And of course, the story had plenty of steamy scenes between the two hot Scots and I dare say, a kilt got even hotter than it was before.

Fergus and John were both interesting main characters and I liked each of them own, although I fell for Fergus a bit more. He was vulnerable and strong at the same time, which I liked a lot. The various side characters, mainly rest of the football team, Fergus and John's families were all different, and the Scottish culture came through them very well, especially the diversity among them, and how the environment they grew up affected them (mainly the economic situation because there were characters from all sides of the wealth spectrum).

I'll definitely read more of this series because the characters were intriguing and I'm yearning to learn more of several of them, especially of Lord Andrew (who, I believe, stars the second book) and Liam (who stars the third book if I'm not mistaken). And I need more books about Scotland in my life.

If you're up to some diverse contemporary romance, then I'd recommend Playing for Keeps.

4 of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment