The Robber Bridegroomby Brothers Grimm
Published by Penguin
On Goodreads
My review:
I've been meaning to read Brothers Grimm fairytales for a long time, and I feel like this short collection of seven stories is a good start. My favourites were The Devil's Three Golden Hairs and The Six Servants - both of them fairytales I'd never heard before. The classic Snowwhite was included, and what really got me was the age of Snowwhite which was so far from the Disney version. The Bremen Town Band, which I guess can be said to be a fable, was weakest for me, and I wasn't really interest on it. Overall, the collection was good and now I really want to read more from Brothers Grimm.
4 of 5 stars.
Circles of Hell
by DantePublished by Penguin
On Goodreads
My review:
Circles of Hell has been something that I've wanted to read for a while now. I'm glad I finally did, and I did enjoy this part of the classic Divine Comedy. However, while some of the Canto's were strong, powerful and beautiful in all the destruction and fear of hell, some other Canto's were slightly more weak, and they didn't keep me as thrilled as the rest. That's why my overall rating came down from possible four stars to the three I gave it. Still, it's something I recommend to read because Circles of Hell is poetic, and it's referenced so often that I feel that I understand some things better now.
3 of 5 stars.
Aphorisms on Love and Hate
by Friedrich NietzschePublished by Penguin
On Goodreads
My review:
"Love and hatred are not blind, but are blinded by the fire they themselves carry with them."
I'm glad that I finally read something from Nietzsche, and this little collection of aphorisms from him was pretty great for it. Not too overwhelming but compact and full of thought-provoking thoughts. My copy is now full of sticky notes because I had to mark the aphorisms that really touched me and very brilliant. I'll have to read more from Nietzsche at some point of my life in the future.
"The demand to be loved is the greatest kind of arrogance."
4 of 5 stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment