22 December 2015

Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)
by Marissa Meyer
Published by Square Fish
Paperback (purchased)
YA, fantasy, sci-fi, retelling, romance

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

Scarlet was everything I hoped Cinder to be. Don't get me wrong, I liked Cinder well enough - I loved the world building and the futuristic twist to the fairytale, but I didn't connect with the characters (Cinder, Iko, Kai, etc.) Scarlet was totally different right from the start: I fell in love with the characters, head over heels. Scarlet was fierce, independent, smart and just darling human being. Wolf, oh my, he literally ate my heart; I love him to pieces and will continue to do so forever (the rest of the series is better have Wolf or I'm going to be mad!). Michelle Benoit rocked. And Captain Thorne was hilarious and charming, and I really want more of him. In comparison to all these brilliant characters Cinder was quite meh and until the end, I really couldn't respect her decision. I still liked her okay, but mostly I just wanted less her chapters and more Scarlet's. Kai... well, he's predictable, which makes him boring.

Basically, character wise Scarlet rocked my world. The plot was also brilliant (even though I yet again guessed the big twists) and Meyer's writing style and world building are fabulous. And romance, don't get me started on that! I need more of it and I will not be satisfied until I get what I want.

I highly recommend people to read Scarlet - even if Cinder (the first part of the chronicles) wasn't that amazing, Scarlet makes everything more intriguing, better and it's just brilliant. I'll totally recommend this series to everyone, just so they can read Scarlet and love it like I do. I seriously hope there'll be more Scarlet and Wolf on the last two instalment of this series, because of them this one was so utterly brilliant that I can't do anything else but love it (and Wolf!) with all I have.

5 of 5 stars.

Scarlet on Goodreads.

2 comments:

  1. glad you like Scarlet, and hope you continue to read the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ailyn! I will definitely continue, I really like the world, and I lost my heart for Wolf and Scarlet (and a bit for Thorne!)

      Delete