13 August 2018

Review: The Smoke Thieves by Sally Green

The Smoke Thieves (The Smoke Thieves, #1)
by Sally Green
Published by Penguin
Young Adult, fantasy

A princess, a traitor, a hunter and a thief. Four teenagers with the fate of the world in their hands. Four nations destined for conflict.
In Brigant, Princess Catherine prepares for a loveless political marriage arranged by her brutal and ambitious father. In Calidor, downtrodden servant March seeks revenge on the prince who betrayed his people. In Pitoria, feckless Edyon steals cheap baubles for cheaper thrills as he drifts from town to town. And in the barren northern territories, thirteen-year-old Tash is running for her life as she plays bait for the gruff demon hunter Gravell.
As alliances shift and shatter, and old certainties are overturned, our four heroes find their past lives transformed and their futures inextricably linked by the unpredictable tides of magic and war. Who will rise and who will fall? And who will claims the ultimate prize?

It's been a while since I read a YA fantasy with multiple point of views and after reading The Smoke Thieves, I don't know why I don't read it more often. I loved all the intrigue, change of perspective (and most of the time, country/nation) and waiting to see how it'll all tie together in the end - or will it do that at all. It made the world more alive to see it through different eyes and to learn more about the four countries/nations through the eyes of natives there. Princess Catherine's perspective offered court life and responsibilities, while March was a servant so his chapters gave insight to the another end of the social spectrum. Then there was Edyon, who was son of a merchant and a bastard, which caused social stigma for him, and young Tash who was a thief. One of Catherine's guards, Ambrose, also got some chapters from his point of view, which also drove the plot forward.

Of all the perspectives and characters, Tash was only one I couldn't stand at all; with everyone else, there was something I could identify with and understand their motives. Tash was just annoying, spending all her time jabbering about new boots, and her chapters didn't seem to drive the plot forward. I liked everyone else's chapters, but I must say that Edyon and March were my favourites. March's grumpy and guarded while Edyon was bubbly and outgoing, and that contrast was everything.

It's difficult to say much, because I don't want to spoil anything. The Smoke Thieves was a clever mix of character and plot driven story. I enjoyed the whole book thoroughly, because I liked connecting the dots and trying to guess what might happen next. There's a map on the book, which I consulted a lot, because I love to see where everything is and where the characters are going. 

I highly recommend The Smoke Thieves, because of how captivating beginning for the series it is. I yearn to learn more, especially since there was a lot happening by the end of the book. Also, I just need to know that Edyon and March are going to make it!

5 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment