Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, #2)by Rick Riordan
Published by Puffin
Hardback (purchased)
Young Adult, fantasy, mythology, adventure
Thor's hammer is missing again. The thunder god has a disturbing habit of misplacing his weapon - the mightiest force in the Nine Worlds. But this time the hammer isn't just lost, it has fallen into enemy hands. If Magnus Chase and his friends can't retrieve the hammer quickly, the mortal worlds will be defenseless against an onslaught of giants. Ragnarok will begin. The Nine Worlds will burn. Unfortunately, the only person who can broker a deal for the hammer's return is the gods' worst enemy, Loki - and the price he wants is very high.
The Hammer of Thor continues beautifully where The Sword of Summer left. The humour is on point as I really love Magnus's sarcasm and comebacks, and the titles are seriously so hilarious. I just love it, and Magnus to be truthful because he's precious with all his jokes and jabs and how much he cares for his friends and how he's a healer among the dead warriors preparing for Ragnarok.
Alongside Magnus, there's all the characters from the first installment and some new faces, which always spices things up. I continued to love the friendship Magnus, Blitzen and Hearthstone have, because they really are adorable (and I ship Blitzen and Hearthstone, they just need to get together okay?) And I'm just saying without spoilers that Riordan's Heimdall totally destroys the image that the Thor movies made. He's just beyond hilarious, and there's plenty of eye-rolling because of him and it's funny.
Basically, if you like the first book, then The Hammer of Thor is solid sequel that has all the aspects that made the first one so good. Some spark was missing for me, but then again I had one minor issue that probably won't be issue with anyone else. I still enjoyed the story thoroughly and I'm eagerly anticipating the last part of the trilogy!
4 of 5 stars
I feel like I`m the only person that has not read any of Rick Riordan`s book. The horror, the shame, I know. I`m thinking of having a readathon in Autumn, when I`ll read all of his books. They sound so entertaining.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.carmensreadingcorner.co.uk