by Marissa Meyer
Published by Square Fish
Paperback (purchased)
YA, sci-fi, retelling
Even in the future. there are damsels in distress...
In the third installment of the Lunar chronicles, Cress, having risked everything to warn Cinder of Queen Levana's evil plan, has a slight problem. She's been imprisoned on a satellite since childhood and has only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress a great hacker. Unfortunately, she's just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.
When a daring rescue of Cress involving Cinder, Captain Thorne, Scarlet, and Wolf goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes as a high price. Meanwhile, Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.
I feel so conflicted about Cress. The beginning was so good and I was so thrilled to meet Cress, the new character. I liked her in the beginning, and everything was so good. However, the book started to drag in one point. There wasn't enough Scarlet nor Wolf, who are my darlings and favourites in the Lunar Chronicles. Cress also started to annoy me as she was so incredibly naive, jealous, and judgmental for the middle part of the book. Although, Cinder continued to grew and I liked her more and more, even if no one will ever have more of my love than Scarlet and Wolf (I need another book full of them. Only them. For eternity.) There was some new characters who intrigue me, namely Jacin and Winter, and I have to admit that I finally started to like Kai a little bit. I still feel like his character is very predictable and a bit of boring because of that even if he has very good reasons to be that way, and I can respect that.
The ending, however, made up for a lot of the parts where Cress was dragging and a bit boring. It made the fire burn again, and now I want to read the last installment, Winter, immediately. That's also why I feel so conflicted about rating Cress. Most of my resentment for the book were lack of my favourite characters and the sheer amount of Cress being annoying during the middle of the book. However, there was some character development in there, so I truly hope that I'll like Cress more later.
The plot was good, and there were so many things that changed so many things, and the world-building and description continued to be so amazing. I'm anxious to know how Meyer will wrap everything up, and even more so I want to know what happens to my darlings and everyone else. I'm torn between giving Cress three and four stars because even though it was a solid installment, I simply can't get over how it took me six months to finish it because of how annoyed I was by Cress and the bit dragging parts of the plot in the middle (it dragged mostly because of the multiple perspectives so I guess I must forgive it for that). So I'll give it four stars, especially because the last part of the book made up for some flaws it had.
4 of 5 stars.

No comments:
Post a Comment