Generally, I don't make new year's resolutions. Haven't made in years. I don't usually even set any goals for myself for the new year. However, I have few bookish goals for 2016, and I'd like to share those with you (and maybe check at the beginning of 2017 if I managed to achieve any of these).
First of all, I want to read at least 60 books.
That's how many I read last year, and how many I set my Goodreads Reading Challenge for this year. I'd like to read even more than that, but you never know how much time university takes. As a history major, I have a lot of reading and studying to do, and it takes time off from reading. But I think sixty books is manageable.
I also want to read more classics.
When I was in high school (almost four years ago, where did the years go?), I wanted to read more classics and more "adult" books. Simply because people didn't put much value in young adult books. I tried to read few, and some I had to read for school. While I found new favourites, such as The Picture of Dorian Gray, most of those books failed to inspire me to actually read more classics. Indeed, I rather stopped reading (not completely, I still read way more fanfiction than anything else). Since then I haven't read any classics (if you don't count re-reading Wuthering Heights). However, I found a passion to read classics, especially classics from Ancient Greece (such as The Iliad, The Odyssey, Sophocles' Plays) at the end of 2015. In 2016, I wish to read The Iliad, some major plays from Ancient Greece, some Shakespeare, more Jane Austen, and more Brontë's sisters books. At least. Let's start with those and see if I'm inspired to read even more classics!
I intend on finishing the Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan.
As well as reading Riordan's 2016 releases; The Hidden Oracle, and Magnus Chase and the Hammer of Thor.
I read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians when I was in high school. But I never continued with the Heroes of Olympus even though I worshiped Riordan's writing. I think it was partly because those weren't narrated by Percy, and because I read the first book of Kane Chronicles and couldn't stand the main characters. So I just didn't continue in fear of it ruining the brilliantness of Percy Jackson. However, in December finally read The Lost Hero, and gosh did I love it! So next year I want to read the rest of that series. I think I'm doing fine as I have already finished The Son of Neptune, and I'm halfway through The Mark of Athena.
My next goal is to go YALC in July, which is held in London.
Yes, I already got tickets, and a hostel booked. Nothing will stop me attending the book event now that I finally have a solid chance going there as I live in UK now. I can't wait to see what's the YALC is like! To meet authors, publishers, bloggers, and everyone. And books.
Lastly, I want to re-read old favourites.
I'm bad at re-reading. It's because I feel bad of re-reading when I have a pile of unread books. This year I want to get rid of that kind of thinking, and if I feel a need to re-read something, I will. I'd like to re-read the first five Harry Potter books, as well as the original Percy Jackson series. Other possible favourites I'd like to visit again are Wuthering Heights, Under the Never Sky, and The Song of Achilles.
That's all of my bookish goals for 2016. Do you have any bookish goals for the next year?
I just got the book Eight Tales of Terror by Poe, when I finish it would you like it for your classics reads? I am reading it for a Challenge. Let me know
ReplyDeleteYessss to YALC!! It's amazing - you'll love it.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure of that! I'm already so excited, I cannot wait for July! Or that they tell all of the authors who are coming there.
Delete